Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting?
I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting? [message #58171] Sun, 02 April 2006 10:20 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I just read in the Times this article, Music Industry Sales Post Their Sixth Year Of Decline. Maybe we should re-start FM radio and Cassette decks. People make tapes, spread them around and the music starts to sell again.
What they have now with all these copygaurds and lawsuits is killing the music industry. Nothin' like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
But; ignorance is bliss.

Re: I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting? [message #58172 is a reply to message #58171] Mon, 03 April 2006 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I miss cassette decks. I still have one, but haven't used it in a long time. Convienent, almost as fast a cd's for song search, and if you had a good deck and metal tape, the sound quality was excellent.

Recording took longer in waiting for the finished product, but shorter if you include crashes, glitches, coasters and all the other crap that happens with digital. We havd sacrificed quality for size in two of my favorite mediums, music and photography. MP3's mostly suck for sound, and unless you're using pro gear, 35mm still kills digital, and even with pro the grain structure is still better.

But you can carry 1000 songs is your pocket, or 500 pictures on a credit card size camera. Who cares what it sounds or looks like.
Just my luddite rant for the day.

Re: I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting? [message #58173 is a reply to message #58172] Mon, 03 April 2006 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Leland; you do Luddite Rants well. I had a Denon yrs ago that had a real time counter. It was a backlit numerical display in minutes and seconds of time left on the tape. I know some guys will tell you they could figure that out on the tape counter but I can't see anyone doing that on the fly.
The thing was so accurate that it would let me know exactly how many seconds were left on a tape. I used to make comp tapes where the song would end exactly 5 seconds before the tape ran out so it sounded like a proffessional tape. No more 35 sec's of silence at the end of a tape; it was great.
The local FM station used to play the new album of the week on Saturday evening. They would set it up so you could tape by letting you know way in advance then playing the whole album through one side then breaking so you could change the tape. I had a whole collection of great tapes for the car.

Re: I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting? [message #58174 is a reply to message #58173] Mon, 03 April 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I used to sell Denon back in the early 80's, I know that deck. It sounded great. I lusted after it and the Denon turntable. I really regret not buying the turntable. Broke college days.

Re: I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting? [message #58175 is a reply to message #58174] Mon, 03 April 2006 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You remmember that deck? I can't find many who do; thats great, I don't think a lot of peole understand what I say in describing how it worked.

You know; your earlier rant is indicative of how I hear a lot of people explaining how they feel about all this new but useless technology. First they use everyone as guinea pigs by selling the crap before it is perfected and letting the consumers endure the problems; "Model's 1-5 all suck; you must buy model no 6."
Then all the copyright hoohah; they can't sell music because it isn't much good, so they slap tons of program driven locks on everything to make it worse. Now I hear the newest digital equipment will have the copyguard built-in to the units; and as usual it will compromise the sound.
You know what? I'm sticking with vynil; the weasals can't mess with that.

Re: I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting? [message #58176 is a reply to message #58175] Mon, 03 April 2006 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Good price. My old HK already has a RIAA eq in it, as does my truly antique heathkit. Most of Rolls stuff on the pro side is pretty good. They specialize is small, really useful boxes.

Vinyl [message #58177 is a reply to message #58176] Mon, 03 April 2006 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Vinyl huh, what's that??? (kidding )

I've started collecting vinyl I find here and there. At an estate sale I went to for giggles last week this guy had 6-700 albums, mostly classical. So I picked up a few of the compilation sets and some single albums I thought might be interesting, but I didn't see anything that I remembered as being a "must have". My wife thinks I'm nuts as I don't even have a preamp or TT yet. But I keep telling her that when I finally get one I'll have stuff to listen to!

Re: Vinyl [message #58178 is a reply to message #58177] Mon, 03 April 2006 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I put a Technics SL 1600 downstairs couple three weeks ago. It came with a new Shure M92; like a 25$ cartridge. I hooked that to my old Pioneer SS reciever I got at a garage sale for 10$. It sounded real good. So I took some of that blue adhesive they use for RV windowglass; and I cemented the stylus to the cartridge. Then I leveled off the table and spent a half-hour adjusting the cart properly.
Sounds damned good on the Pi Theater 4's. I sat just now listened to the whole first Dire Straights album; the one with Down to The Waterline on it. Great stuff; total outlay; 90$ for the table/10$ for the amp. You can't beat those old Technics for value for a buck.

Re: Vinyl [message #58179 is a reply to message #58178] Mon, 03 April 2006 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That's what I have, an old technics, don't remember the model.

You did WHAT with the stylus?

Re: Vinyl [message #58180 is a reply to message #58179] Mon, 03 April 2006 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If you have a removable stylus; not a moving coil cart; you just pull the stylus out then with a toothpick you take small drops of that blue adhesive they use to secure poly windows to the frame in RV's and line it along the plastic perimeter of the stylus; the part that touches the body of the cartridge. Then just gently replace the stylus so the adhesive bonds the stylus to the cart body. Let it cure then you get a much better bass/tighter detail better information recovery. It really is like buying a more expensive cartridge. They say it damps resonance; create a tighter mechanical bond and adds mass. Whatever it does; believe me it works.
( Although I wouldn't try it on my 1k$ Shelter 901.) ( Thats if I had one; or could afford one.)
Which Technics do you have?

Previous Topic: Protests March For Immigration Reform
Next Topic: Hiking today
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:16:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers