Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » If I ever did half the stuff I get accused of..
If I ever did half the stuff I get accused of.. [message #57759] Tue, 03 January 2006 09:54 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
the world would either come to an end, or be vastly improved, depending on your POV.

From a few of them:
threatened to drive one of our sponsors out of business

gave vendor enough grief to make that vendor redirect energy to him than the tasks at hand serving the audiophile community

***this was one of my favs, but I'm sure that what ever 'grief' I dispensed was required at the time. As far as 'serving the audiophile community' goes, as a memeber of that community, I don't remember being served at all, let alone poorly.

Either way, I am going to continue with building myself better audio. Anybody who wants to come along is quite welcome.
cheers,
Douglas

Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57762 is a reply to message #57759] Tue, 03 January 2006 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old Brown Eyes is currently offline  Old Brown Eyes
Chancellor
You are a spy....ROFLMAO....such a bad bad boy. You should be whipped with secret recipe trade marked magnet wire....blindfolded of course so you won't try to reverse engineer it and copy it:)

Riddle me this, why are we so concerned with grid choke/center tapped choke inductance and what happens when a signal drives the grid positive but yet IT coupling is advised for these same tubes that need a low value grid leak resistor....and they sometimes are operated in clas A2.

Russ

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57763 is a reply to message #57762] Tue, 03 January 2006 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,

The grid choke is cap coupled. If there's DC out, there has to be DC in. The IT can take DC in, albiet at a different load line slope. The cap interferes with this, no?
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57765 is a reply to message #57763] Tue, 03 January 2006 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I don't know Douglas; I think you are being too hard on yourself here. I mean you seem always to be helpfull and curiously seeking the better way and better sound. Sounds fair to me. I have not seen any evidence you are profiting from others and you sure helped me build one damn fine pre-amp asking nothing in return.
Thats what I like; it's not what you say, it's what you do.
And It's hard for me to understand how a hunk of iron wrapped in wire and insulation merrits any protection anyway. Yeah; maybe the first guy who thought of building one should reap some reward, but after that; it belongs to the world.

A friend wrote this to me... [message #57766 is a reply to message #57765] Tue, 03 January 2006 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
quoted: But, I feel if people are going to live in peace, they are going to have to act in peace.

Well, for my part I have perhaps not been peaceful enough. While I have limited ability to act on the 'turn the other cheek' impulse, it is a reasonable reaction to such situations.

I watched some historical footage of Ghandi in action, and was inspired. So, to the Ocean, I am going to make some salt.
cheers,
Douglas

that would be Maxwell... [message #57767 is a reply to message #57765] Tue, 03 January 2006 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
perhaps Tesla, or by proxy Westinghouse.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57768 is a reply to message #57765] Tue, 03 January 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Hi MB:

you wrote:

:::...understand how a hunk of iron wrapped in wire and insulation merrits any protection anyway. Yeah; maybe the first guy who thought of building one should reap some reward, but after that; it belongs to the world.::::

would the same logic apply to all speaker designs, amplifier designs, digital designs, etc?

So... anyone should be able to come on an ART forum and offer clones (explicit copies) of say Norman Tracy's digital designs? Or offer hotrod copies of say a Wavelength Audio Brick? And use these guys names and reputations to sell their fakes?

Do you think the forums should be opened up to explicit copies of PI speaker designs? And allow the cloner to use the PI namesake and goodwill to "market" their clones?

would love to see someone take the BOSE or MONSTER CABLE challenge...

msl

Re: Now you/we/whomever can add one more thing to the list [message #57770 is a reply to message #57768] Wed, 04 January 2006 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The whole goodwill legal doctrine exists as a name recognition benefit. If someone changes a wire from one side of the input jack to another then claims copyright thats unproductive.
I must take a stand here and say this; if the design existed previously in 80% of it's incarnation then it does not violate any responsible definition of reasonable behaviour. That makes me a bad guy I know but it's time people began concentrating on creating instead of hoarding.
All amplifier designs that borrow from the past and just re-organise existing technology are free and open to use by all.
Will that prevent people from designing because it will not be a lockin for their bottom-line?
Naah; never has before.
In fact; before the deluge of protectionist legal restrictions extended to any tiny re-design effort there was more creativity in the design arena.
Thats the side I am sorry to say that seems correct to me.

this assumes a critical thing... [message #57773 is a reply to message #57770] Wed, 04 January 2006 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
An idea, or process, or ____ must have some basis to acquire protection. This protection will also be carefully spelled out as to its extent. And this protection has time limits.

There are lots of neat ideas which were not given protection. For example, the snowmobile track drive system. Too many people were playing with it. Parallel discoveries would have been made and some inventor in Colorado could arrive at the same sol'n as a sled man in New Mexico.

As suggested by some poster below, change one resistor, and I can call it mine...or something like that. Or another neat attempt at humor, grabbing the Guinevere schematic for his own profit. Let me suggest a few improvements...they've already been discussed on GB. That pre would make some nice competition for the established budget kit sellers I would hope.

When the best Physicists were gathered together in 'the institute for advanced study' or similar, no more discoveries were made. The difference? too much free time? too old? you'll love this....no students! take away interaction and spread of knowlege, and advancement ceases.

So spread it around as widely and thoroughly as is possible. Play with it, modify it, take it apart and put it back together. Teach somebody else to do the same and the Art will advance.

I would rather see Audio advance in such a fashion, rather than in a Middle Ages Church setting where the Priesthood is in control over a large fraction of the available information, which is hoarded as a mizer his coins. No joy there, that's for sure.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: this assumes a critical thing... [message #57774 is a reply to message #57773] Wed, 04 January 2006 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Douglas; you saved me a whole half-hour of posting with that one. Quick reaction; the best music was written when there were few protections available; should we sacrifice quality so some fraction of performers can own the musical landscape; and the majority of the arguments revolving around this issue here have been specious at best and disengenous at worst.
If the purpose and intent of copy protectionism legislation was to wall off vast tracts of progress it would not exist and the inability to enforce most of this issue as defined in court leads me to believe there isn't much merritt in the arguments as presented.

Previous Topic: Happy new year, creatures!
Next Topic: Another old tower :-)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 06:23:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout