Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » just say no to shimano
just say no to shimano [message #57530] Sun, 18 December 2005 12:10 Go to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
The web can bee a great place. And sometimes fun.

It also allows folks to vent...

so we go from the extremes of endorsement, adulation, and approval all the way to envy, flaming, and bizarre behaviour as regards folks expressing opinions on products or personalities.

Who thinks Bill Gates gives two poops as to what his net detractors\haters say? Gates realizes that a certain amount of kook
attention is the price he must pay.

The best the anti gates netkook (who makes stalking gates his occupation or "reason for being") can hope for is to actually get a response from his target. Bill's smarter than that...

but what is more fun and not over the edge of sanity... is one of my favorite net "wars"....

which is better shimano or campagnolo?

I say campy hands down.

I say "just say no to Shimano"...

for fun do a google search on the phrase "just say not to shimano"...

most of the banter btwn the two camps is relatively good natured... though I would guess there are both anti-campy and anti-shimano kooks out there... who might become unglued a bit....

but if you really need to know why campy is better just go to

www.campyonly.com

which do you guys like? Are we campy fans or shimano fans?

msl

Re: just say no to shimano [message #57531 is a reply to message #57530] Sun, 18 December 2005 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lets talk about girls.
Or women for us older guys.
Why don't they like audio?

Re: campy [message #57532 is a reply to message #57530] Sun, 18 December 2005 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'm with you on the campy gear.

Some of the high end shimono is good gear. Shimono makes more low end junk though and just flashes their name on it?

Most of the campy stuff I've ever seen is all good shit, or Really good shit.

Why would gates give a pig or a poke about what anyone other than his wife thought? I'm surprised he hasn't started his on broadcasting network yet.

Re: campy [message #57533 is a reply to message #57532] Sun, 18 December 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I used to own a bike shop. Shimano is a pain in the ass. Every new piece of gear needs a specialized tool to install, adjust or just look at. I didn't get to work on much campy gear, not enough high end bikes around here in the 80's. But my own bike is shimano.

Re: campy [message #57534 is a reply to message #57533] Mon, 19 December 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yep, I'm afraid as much as I favor the Campy gear. All my bikes have Shimono rigged on them. I had the opportunity to run a Look, carbon frame with all Campy top shelf for a 30 mile spin a few years ago. Basically a very expensive TDF type bike. I was impressed. Just an increadible machine. Now I ride my hybrid a few times a year on a canal trail

Re: campy [message #57535 is a reply to message #57534] Mon, 19 December 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Bill:

For many years campy did not offer components suitable for hybrids... this year and last has seen the introduction of components designed for hybrids and mountain biking... so perhaps campy will get back into these sectors of the bike industry.

I have a cinelli with carbon forks and stays.. it's the unica model.. which is equipped with mostly Chorus 10 speed components.

If campy still made the old Nuovo Record or Super Record groups... that's what I would still use... indexed shifting sucks in my opinion... but... it is the only game in town...

and talk now is how soon before campy and shimano raise the stakes (obsolete a bunch of equip) by going to 12 speed clusters in the rear...

it's actually a perfect example of how company's must continually "innovate" new and "improved" products when they compete in small niche markets... since the markets are so small and are not expanding at any real healthy rate... company's realize that they have to sell each buyer more than one Durace or Record grouppo to stay in biz....

what better way than to raise the stakes and obsolete last years products.... hence, twelve speeds... are not, I predict, too far off into the future.

cheers,

msl

Re: campy [message #57536 is a reply to message #57535] Mon, 19 December 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Life gets in the way of riding. I have a carbon fiber Trek w titanium spokes, all kinds of cool knicknacks that I installed before I quit in 95. Probably has 2k on it, and no mileage at all the last 3 or 4 years. Haven't even ridden my mountain bike. Although come spring it's coming out of retirement for my commute, which is all of 1 mile. Small town life has it's advantages.

Re: campy [message #57537 is a reply to message #57536] Mon, 19 December 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Leland:

for me... it's that darn old age gettin' in the way...

rebuilt a fixed gear track bike that I custom built (frame and all) back in 1980. With my commute being about four miles and all flat terrain... I was really excited to get back on my bike and do something healthy for a change...

wouldn't ya know it... my left knee goes south... pain out the wazoo... but nothing that the shot of cortizone didn't relieve quickly...

so... I guess I do need to dust it off and get back on the road.

the titanium spokes sound neat... have they held up well? wheel stay true?

cheers,

msl

Crap-agnolo [message #57538 is a reply to message #57530] Mon, 19 December 2005 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
D-A all the way...or at least most of it. And what if one wants to go on the trail? XTR will do just fine.

Restricted to 8-spds of course.
cheers,
Douglas

they do... [message #57539 is a reply to message #57531] Mon, 19 December 2005 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I am designing a PP 2A3 amp for my wife to build. Heyboer wound Iron and Sovtek finals. What a catch, that girl!
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Dover PA Judge; Intelligent Design is,"Breathtaking Inanity."
Next Topic: statutory and common law regarding fair business practices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:36:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers