Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » wal-mart
wal-mart [message #56693] Wed, 17 August 2005 18:02 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
As of now there are seven states that have bills pending in the legislature that would require that wal-mart re-pay the tax incentives they were given by communities in those states affected; by increasing the health care benefits offered to their employees. Evidently the local health care delivery systems are overwhelmed by the large amount of wal-mart employees that require free care due to lack of medical coverage.
I looked at what the wal-mart benefit pakage is. They pay 128$ a month out of a minimum wage salary and for this they have no drug or dental coverage and they have a one thousand dollar deductible per family with maximum coverage levels of less than 12k per yr. For normal care. No well baby care or preventative care included.
Bring our troops back from Iraq and attack the terrorists in wal-marts management.
Hey Sam; whereever you are; I hear the drumbeat of union organising.
You have to wonder; if management doesn't want something in their company that bad, it must be really good for the employees.

Re: wal-mart [message #56694 is a reply to message #56693] Thu, 18 August 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Little Leonard Cohen?

Re: wal-mart [message #56695 is a reply to message #56694] Thu, 18 August 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
"I'm so poor I got a matchbox hold my clothes", Blind Lemon Jefferson

Hey Damir; do they have large ugly box-like looking retail stores that sell cheap crap; pay people nothing and chase the legitimate businesses out of town in your neighborhood?

Re: wal-mart [message #56696 is a reply to message #56695] Thu, 18 August 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Of course, that`s what we fought for - free market, capitalism, foreign mega-stores, "businessmen" who cheaply (corruption+bad Law) buy everything that has some value (banks, hotels, old buildings...).
You can see in "real time" how everything is falling apart - from economy to human relationships, from small companies to families.

Re: wal-mart [message #56697 is a reply to message #56696] Thu, 18 August 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Damn; that is an interesting post. Can you explain what you mean by "realtime" and how you group the organised cultural signifigance of economy,human relationships, small companies and families?
What do you mean when you say everything is falling apart?

Let me give you a scenario. Here in America we are divided along the political divide and I am sure you see that in the media over there. But there are big differences between say a republican Bush supporter in New York and the same thing in say, Iowa. Thats a state in the middle of the country.
Whereas here in New York there is the Stock Exchange and Big bank hdqrtrs and defense contractors; Iowa is a mostly rural state, with big factory farms.
The people in NY that support Bush do so for mostly economic reasons. He is business freindly; supports shielding corporations from liability lawsuits; supports the elimination of envirenmental rules that hamper business and promotes the liquidation of public support systems like Social Security. So the Wall Street guys love him especially the stock markett.
In Iowa people believe that Bush is fighting some war on terror and that makes him some kind of hero. They don't believe that this Iraq thing is about oil and they support the war as a weapon against terrorism. Now in NY or Massachusetts or other of the eastern seaboard states that story doesn't fly even with the most hardcore Bush supporters They like him because they feel he is securing the oil for us that we will need in the future; but they know this terrorism thing is forever and he is not really having any effect on it one way or the other.
I tell you this to see if you read the situation that way over by you.

Re: wal-mart [message #56698 is a reply to message #56697] Thu, 18 August 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Simple - for example, some people "bought" (not real price, credits, politic connections) some companies through "privatisation" process, took the money, buildings, machines, vehicles... Then went to another company, another "business", another corruption, etc. And workers - on the street, literally. There`s much more, but thinking and writing about it makes me just more sad...

Re: wal-mart [message #56699 is a reply to message #56698] Thu, 18 August 2005 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Please do not confuse Capitalism with the behavior of новый русский and people like them. Taking advantage of others isn't the Capitalist way. We in America have the same disgust with unethical business practices as do other countries.

What I've seen, having experienced both Russian and American cultures, is that the truest товарищ is the same in any political system. He's the guy that works for a living, earns his keep, gives at least as much as he takes and often a little more. He stands by his friends and family, but he is warm and open with outsiders. He is able to work in any political system, because he's productive. That's my opinion, based on what I've seen in both cultures.

Re: wal-mart [message #56700 is a reply to message #56699] Thu, 18 August 2005 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I see that Northwest airlines is threatening a strike breaking tactic used by many of the responsible businesses Wayne mentions to reduce the wages and benefits of their employees. They threaten to invoke bankruptcy proceedings enabling a court appointed administator to do the wage cutting inorder to circumvent union contracts. Thats Contracts; you know a good faith agreement between parties.
The average mechanic who might fit Waynes description of the all around great guy will see a pay cut of over 26%. Thats from a 20 yr senior mechanics pay of 65k annually to 46k anually. Plus cuts in health and retirement benefits contractually agreed to.
Sounds similar to your post Damir, right here in the good old U.S.A.
People everywhere are the same snakes.

Re: wal-mart [message #56701 is a reply to message #56700] Thu, 18 August 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This is a wonderful example of an American view. It shows very well in his last reply. John is concerned with his fellow man, and of the working class. He has been a hard-working American that is always good to his friends and family. He helps those around him, giving advice, engaging in discussions and lending an ear on these forums. John is the perfect example of the American товарищ that does not like corruption and cheating for personal gain. That's not his vision of what Capitalism is all about. He's a man among men, and obviously feels best when doing something productive as opposed to just trying to find ways to make a quick buck.

Re: wal-mart [message #56702 is a reply to message #56695] Fri, 19 August 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can't accept the idea that wal-mart chases legitimate business out of town - the buyers in the area choose wal-mart over the other retailers - the buyers vote with their money to buy crap without regard to value added by the retailer (if any) and wal-mart doesn't hassle people when they return with defective merchandise, they just give back the money (unlike every independent retailer I'm familiar with).

You can argue that you don't like what happens when people turn away from local shops and go to wal-mart, but you can't blame wal-mart for giving them the choice. that's arresting the hooker and giving the john a free pass (not that I think hookers should be arrested but you can't condemn one without condemning the other)

Previous Topic: Non one will like this post
Next Topic: Ah the good old days....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:11:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout