Home » xyzzy » Tower » Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston
Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55462] Wed, 16 August 2006 06:56 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm so glad that Houston's top country music stations have forced the Dixie Chicks to cancel their plans for a Houston concert so Houstonians won't be exposed to their anti-American views. Chick fans will have to drive to Austin, that hotbed of liberalism, to hear them. So how did two or three radio stations manage to do this? Simple, they refused to accept the promoter's money for concert advertising. The reason given is that they don't promote artists whose songs aren't played on their stations, and needless to say they don't play the Dixie Chicks' songs on their stations.

On the surface this shouldn't come as a surprise or be found objectionable by anybody who understands the country music radio audience. Based on reactions to their famous statement about the president I would expect that country music fans wouldn't want to hear them anyway, and I wouldn't expect a radio station to lose listeners (and revenue) by playing music or promoting a concert by a group their listeners find objectionable. Regardless of whether I like country music radio, I have to admit that country music radio execs are very effective at promoting their stations and avoiding mistakes that might cause them problems down the road.

But let's go below the surface for a moment and explore what the real issues behind this decision might be. Of course the trouble started in 2003 when the group's music was banned from several country music stations' playlists. Subsequently, Edison Media Research did a national survey of 12 radio stations' listeners across the nation, including Houston's megastation KILT, which revealed that only 19% of listeners think radio should avoid the Chicks altogether. 51% took offense at the famous comment but thought the Chicks should still be on radio, 15% agreed with the statement (was Manualblock included in this survey?:), and 15% were undecided.

The real underlying issue here isn't the actual refusal to accept ad money. It's the fact that a handful of public radio stations, which are many Americans' only source of news and opinions, have the power to block a group from even playing in America's 4th largest city, even though only 15% of their audience would support the decision. These stations, of course, are controlled by media giants with names like CBS, Clearaudio, etc. Scary!

Of course a political/economic conservative would respond that CBS and Clearaudio are private corporations, and they have to right to control their own programming and advertising. I agree, but only to a point. I can see where a media source would be justified in not accepting ad money for an event that most of their audience would find objectionable, such as a liberal station not running ads for a KKK rally. But it's differnt when a media source abuses their subatantial power by blocking the free speech of others in venues that are not owned by their stations. Whether you have the conservative or liberal brand on your forehead I hope you can see this is potentially as much a threat to you as it is to the other side.

Eliza, are you listening? Good topic for a new song!

Re: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55464 is a reply to message #55462] Wed, 16 August 2006 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, that's a tough one. It's the same kind of thing I see so much of in (all forms of) media, and in all public communications really. Since private companies own the infrastructures that provide communications, they decide what content they will allow. But it does create a bully pulpit, one that has a great deal of power to influence large numbers of people. What I see are dozens of bully pulpits, all of which manipulate the masses to some degree.

Re: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55465 is a reply to message #55464] Wed, 16 August 2006 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Maybe we should have a return to the time before de-regulation of the airwaves; before Reagan. When media outlets had to provide equal access to opposing views; when advertising was limited in time and scope; when Presidents were requiered to give reasonable amounts of press conferences and reporters where not limited in what they were allowed to ask. Lot of changes could return us back to a more insightfull and serious time.
When the airwaves were allocated by government fiat and not by huge sums of cash. Where no one media company could own more than a percentage of media outlets. Clearaudio is the Wal-Mart of broadcasting and should be indicted.
Oh; and thanks for the mention Fred; you need to start a blog. That is something I would read. And hey; you have a lot of free time on your hands right?....
Seriously; you have an easygoing style of expository writing that reads well. Better than Instapundit.

Re: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55466 is a reply to message #55465] Wed, 16 August 2006 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might be right. But if we regulate the airwaves, do we also regulate the internet? Newspapers? Magazines? Books?

It's kind of a tough one. Kinda hard to force people to not be manipulative. And it's an ironic sort of hypocracy, because to force people to not be manipulative is in itself extremely manipulative. That one is a tough one.

Re: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55467 is a reply to message #55462] Wed, 16 August 2006 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Dixie Chicks have had to cancel lots of shows in Canada and several here in the U.S. because of poor ticket sales too. So if the radio stations that are promoting there concerts, seems like nobodys buying there tickets anyway because of there B.S.. So the concert promoters are canceling there shows left and right. It's just not the radio stations accepting or refusing the advertising $$$. Concert promoters are in the business for one thing and one thing only MONEY. I know I've had to deal with a few of the a--holes mysyself and if they can't break even or if they think there going to loose money they'll cancel a show.

Re: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55468 is a reply to message #55467] Wed, 16 August 2006 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't disagree. Another reason for poor ticket sales is that they are heading in the crossover direction, and dedicated country fans aren't as interested in that kind of music. But the fact still remains that the Houston stations refused to accept their promoter's ads, and it still bothers me that a public corporation has enough power to dictate what music I can hear at venues other than their station. I would be equally concerned if a station whose owners are atheists refused to accept ad money for a Christian music concert.

Re: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55469 is a reply to message #55466] Wed, 16 August 2006 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
True. As you say, the problem is how to enforce practices that are in the public's interest without over regulating an industry. The answer is in macro management of the most significant trends rather than micro regulation of practices.

Many years ago America woke up one morning and discovered that a few "new aristocracy" millionaires with names like Rockefeller controlled the nation's economy through the monopolies they had built. They even had their own police forces to enforce their will, with no responsibility for anybody's civil rights. So we broke up the monopolies. Years later, when I began my career, there were 21 major oil companies operating in the US instead of just Standard Oil. When I retired 30 years later there were only three major players: Exxon/Mobil, Conoco/Phillips, and BP/Arco/Amoco. Somehow when these companies applied to the FTC for permission to merge, our politicians saw no potential problems. Ditto for the communications industry, retail goods, pahrmesuticals (need to check that spelling) etc.

The trend is clearly in the direction of large companies merging to form even larger and more powerful ones that are responsible only to the politicians they support and not to the public. BP presently serves as the poster child for irresponsible behavior, but only because they've had a run of bad luck. Wal Mart would be much worse if they handled hazardous materials as their core business.

The sad thing about this state of affairs is that people like me, registered Republicans, middle class middle-of-the-roaders leaning toward conservatism, are beginning to seriously question the viability of a free enterprise system controlled by mega corporations running unchecked in the economy. And to add to the frustration of our Republican adminsitration not addressing these important issues, Democratic politicians with their old worn out populist agenda don't seem to have a viable answer either.

Re: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston [message #55470 is a reply to message #55469] Wed, 16 August 2006 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats the point. There has to be some kind of enforceable regulatory legislation designed to level the playing field sort of. Freedom to devour corporations until you stand at the top of the heap alone doesn't work for obvious reasons. The de-regulation of many industries during the Republican Revolution combined with the lack of oversight and enforcement has lead to the conditions we have now.
There is manipulation; on one side by the business and corporate entities and on the other side through the political sphere. On that side there is at least the vote; some kind of control by the people over situations and circumstances. There is no such thing as absolute freedom anywhere on earth ever. So I side with the popular vote as a control on extreme mis-use of rights and resources over the power of corporate beings. I feel safer with an elected governing body making the rules than with profit making structures defining our rights.

Re: Dixie Chicks Not Censored Anywhere [message #55471 is a reply to message #55470] Wed, 16 August 2006 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
MB,

The proposition that "[t]here has to be some kind of enforceable regulatory legislation designed to level the playing field" is just a terrible idea. Some government agency is going to require radio stations to play the Dixie Chicks? More likely, that power, if granted, would ultimately be used to require the dissemination of pro-, not anti-, administration messages. Foolish.

Mercifully, we got rid of the FCC "fairness doctrine" in the 1980s (thank you, Pres. Reagan). There are so many outlets for ideas and messages that there's no reason for government censorship on the "fairness doctrine" model. If radio stations won't play their songs, then they can go to cable tv, or the internet (start a blog and post a sample audio or video there, or post a video on You Tube), etc., etc., etc. Hell, they can go sing on a streetcorner.

In this regard, the title of this thread, "Dixie Chicks Censored", is exactly wrong. It's the remedy that is being proposed that would constitute censorship.

Re: Dixie Chicks Not Censored Anywhere [message #55472 is a reply to message #55471] Wed, 16 August 2006 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
E; that all makes sense if there were fair competition in the media business. How do we deal with an entity like clearchannel that buys up over 38% of the markets then decide what gets played on those markets.
Regulation and legislation would not dictate that the Chicks get played; only that they have an outlet that would support their opportunity to get played. They should have one of a multiple of outlets in the radio and media sphere that entertains their music and the people's rights who want to hear them. One company should not have the power to stop the playing of their music for everyone.
Thats the level playing field. You prevent one entity from deciding everything in music and what will be played. Like Wal-Mart; one company doesn't decide what goods and prices the consumer gets.

Previous Topic: HEY, WAYNE !
Next Topic: Who says there's no good news in the world?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:01:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio