Home » xyzzy » Tower » Cost of The War on Terrorism
Cost of The War on Terrorism [message #54945] Mon, 23 January 2006 09:25 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Theve ratcheted up the total projection of the cost of Iraq to over one trillion dollars. The BW is banckrupting the country trying to get better oil prices for his cronies and his good buddy Abromoff.
It is so bad; that he is getting hard resistance from real Republicans to the drain of money and resources going to the oil war.
They cut out college aid from the budget to finance the oil company war in Iraq. So much for our kids. How much money do the rich need???

In the absence of Mr. Vinyl... [message #54947 is a reply to message #54945] Mon, 23 January 2006 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

...I must adress you to some important facts...

Re: In the absence of Mr. Vinyl... [message #54948 is a reply to message #54947] Mon, 23 January 2006 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Damir; you have been exposed to the ravages of uncontrolled power where you live. We here are naive in the understanding of how unbridled power corrupts and how the only thing seperating us from the bad guys is not the President; it's a free and open press.
Thanks for taking on this task; Mr. Vynil has disappointed me since he disappeared after Tom Delay was indicted and now looks like he may be prosecuted. Those hard core reactionary neo-cons hate like poison to be proved wrong.

Re: Cost of The War on Terrorism [message #54951 is a reply to message #54945] Tue, 24 January 2006 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
MB,

Ah, the old "no blood for oil" meme. Good to hear it again. If our concern had been oil, we would simply have continued to acquiesce in the corrupt UN Oil-for-Food program, which amounted to a multi-billion-dollar bribe to Saddam to keep the spigots turned on full volume.

Re: Cost of The War on Terrorism [message #54952 is a reply to message #54951] Tue, 24 January 2006 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah but that was a shared experience; we want it all.

Re: In the absence of Mr. Vinyl... [message #54953 is a reply to message #54948] Tue, 24 January 2006 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would suggest that the press is more compromised even than politics. It has less checks and balances, basically nochecks and balances. Since the media has the means to express itself and make its own spin, it spoon feeds people with "facts" in a self-serving manner. Its job is solely to make itself look reliable and to make profits. The "free press" is incredibly deceptive and devisive and I don't trust anything I see on TV or in newspapers. Not a word.

Re: In the absence of Mr. Vinyl... [message #54954 is a reply to message #54953] Tue, 24 January 2006 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne; I hope your still here. There are no perfect institutions in life; but the mainstream press is a valuable and neccessary tool for the citizens of a free country. The news organisations have vast resources including libraries/factcheckers/reporters on the scene/ contacts; I say this: You must get information somewhere. At no time in my 53 years of reading and watching have I found that people's personal experiences were any more reliable than the news. In fact whenever I needed to do something predicated upon what I might have read in some newspaper; it turned out to be accurate. Does the news put spin on what they report? That is human nature to report what you see and when you report something you report what you find interesting. But newspapers have editors who answer to the reading public who in turn buy the products advertised in the paper. If the public refuses to buy into what that paper prints on a consistent basis then that paper loses money and consequently folds.
You as the reading public have a responsibility to seek out the most reliable news source and also to seek alternative sources as a check and balance.
If you look into the past and see how many corrupt politicians/environmental disasters/dangerous conditions et al stories that the news has printed that resulted in a safer/better/more influence free government/ world, then you must in all honesty acknowledge that the news organisation perform a valuable and absolutely neccessary function in our society.
So what would you do to find out whats happening in the world; read some blogger? He is more accurate with his little corner of the world than a vast news organisation that answers to the entire public?

I know they are not perfect; but I trust the serious news organisation much more than I trust the CEO's and the Politicians and the Generals.
The good reporters are basically honest and decent guys trying to do a good job.

Now I know people will laugh at my so-called naivete' and simplistic view of the world; nothing can be further from the truth. But one thing I do see; all the folks who denigrate the news organisations tend not to be the serious readers.

Nice to see you chime in here; makes it more like a family.

Re: In the absence of Mr. Vinyl... [message #54955 is a reply to message #54954] Tue, 24 January 2006 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree. But I think that politics and press are both rotten in America. The best of America resides elsewhere, if you ask me. I'll only listen to personal, first-hand experience. Anything else is hearsay or worse. Both politicians and press are selling something, and where there is that, there is a motive for bias. I have absolutely no trust in either organization, except for a few selected individuals that I know personally.

"The good reporters are basically honest and decent guys trying to do a good job. " [message #54956 is a reply to message #54954] Tue, 24 January 2006 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey, MB - I can say from experience here that many, probably most of the reporters are just cheap politician whores.
Some of them are undoubtedly spies/agents-provocateurs/mercenaries.
They all write in a way that someone who pays them wants; only some of the best journalists expressed their independent/objective opinion - rare beasts...without much impact.

Re: In the absence of Mr. Vinyl... [message #54957 is a reply to message #54955] Tue, 24 January 2006 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'Kay well we agree to disagree. But I ask you to remmember the old Lawyers saying,"The most unreliable witness is an eyewitness."
Just ask the folks at an accident site what happened and see what you get.
The only question I would have is how can you judge who to place your vote for unless you know the candidate personally?

Previous Topic: I remmember the Nov of 2004 Election protests in the Ukraine
Next Topic: Bush Hates Elections
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 23:34:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout