Home » xyzzy » Tower » Perception of Sound
Perception of Sound [message #54939] Fri, 20 January 2006 18:36 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I had to buy a new Bass Drum Batter head today. I use Remo Pinstripes but I am looking for a deeper/whiter and a little dryer sound so I went in to Sam Ash to speak to one of the sales reps.
There were four salesguys in there and two other drummers. I poked around a bit then I asked the salesguy if he had a solution to my needs.
I said, " Any chance you know of a head that plays a little deeper; whiter and dryer than a remo pinstripe, I need more tone on my bass for Jazz."
He never skipped a beat; "Evans G2's". He said. The other salesman piped up; and agreed.
Now remmember I asked for a higher; dryer; whiter sound; with more tone.
Two salesmen and one of the other customers all chose the same head. Now how the heck do you think they knew that?
BTW; perfect fit, just what I needed.
No measuring devices in sight.
They must know something we audiophiles don't.

Re: Perception of Sound [message #54940 is a reply to message #54939] Fri, 20 January 2006 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My brother plays nothing but Evan's heads on his set. We grew up in Dodge city, Ks where they originated from and he could get whatever he needed, whenever he needed. He's tried plenty of others, but always comes back to the Evans. They sounded nice when we were gigging still.

Re: Perception of Sound [message #54941 is a reply to message #54939] Sat, 21 January 2006 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

John, I like the Evens on the toms for the brighter sound but I went back to a pinstripe for the kick drum. I liked the duller thud for the kick drum. better sound for recording with less ring. the new set still has the original masterworks head on it but the kids drummer has just about pounded his way through it. who knows what "they" will replace it with!
I dont play anymore, never could anyway...
enjoy the new skin

Re: Perception of Sound [message #54942 is a reply to message #54941] Sat, 21 January 2006 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey Bill; My old Ludwigs are a very thin shell kit. They resonate like heck so the Ambassodor's bring out the tone. I tune them down a mite. On the Bass I line the inside of the drum with these old acousticly dead pads then with the Evans I get a nice warm but tunefull tone. The Amabassador on the bass was little too bright. For Rock I need the damping but for Jazz I like the tone. The newer drums are too dead for me now. I played a kit the other day that the guy is raving about and the heads sounded like a rubber trash can. It's what they like now for that mic'ed live sound. I play acoustic unmic'ed so I need something that has good sustain and projection but maintains the tone. I tune the bottom head pretty tight then soften the batter and most of the ring is muted. I'm looking for another snare; mines really a rock sound; too dry. Man it's hard to find a good snare.
Hey; lotta guys are returning to the drums after the kids grow. I keep running into grey hairs buying new kits.
So whats new?

Re: Perception of Sound [message #54943 is a reply to message #54942] Sat, 21 January 2006 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Not a whole lot new things going on. Think I'm going to settle into a chair and see whats on TV. I picked up a new set of pearl Masterworks 5 years ago. The toms and kick are 4 ply shells with 2 plys of maple and 2 plys of mahogany. nice tone for jazz by my liking. The snare is 10 ply maple and I keep it wound up pretty tight too.
I'm enjoying the nice weather this winter. only complaint is all the really nice days are in the middle of the week! what's new for you?

Re: Perception of Sound [message #54944 is a reply to message #54943] Sat, 21 January 2006 22:20 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Pearls are nice; I don't have a huge amount of experience with them but they look to be made well and I have heard them on ocassion. Do you play at all now? Practice?
I have always sort of kept my hand in so to speak but now my son is getting older and not requiring my services as much so I am gearing up to maybe do something in the future. I started practicing about a year ago seriously and soon I am starting lessons with Jeff Indyke. Ever hear of him; he has this drum show every sunday night on public access TV. It's on channel 20 here I don't know what it is up there. He's a pisser, strange dude. It's been so long since I actually had to learn new beats and techniques that it will be much faster with some help. I am trying out the Moeller Method; sound familiar? It is easier on your arms and arthritis ridden joints.

Yeah; this weather is fine ain't it? The last two winters were rough; all that white stuff. So a little TV ehh? I just saw Syriana tonight; not too shabby compared to whats been out there lately.

Previous Topic: GPAF
Next Topic: Go; Hillary Go!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:24:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout