Home » xyzzy » Tower » On the off chance somebody may be interested
On the off chance somebody may be interested [message #54296] Thu, 26 May 2005 17:49 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Recently I've been reading books by PG Wodehouse. The ones I've read so far are largely set in turn-of-the-last-century England and New York.

Clever, sweet, old-fashioned stories with a Cole Porter wit to them.

I can heartily recommend My Man Jeeves as a great introduction.

Many are available free at Project Gutengerg.

Re: On the off chance somebody may be interested [message #54297 is a reply to message #54296] Fri, 27 May 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What do you mean Charley; you download them to your computor? That's interesting; I like that early turn of the century stuff; I'm working on Henry James, "Portrait of a Lady", currently.

Thousands of books free to download [message #54298 is a reply to message #54297] Fri, 27 May 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's a relatively old project to archive significant books that have run out of copyright and distribute them free - used to be by other means, but now over the internet - as plain text files. Part of the intent is to make them machine readable for the handicapped.

Re: Thousands of books free to download [message #54299 is a reply to message #54298] Fri, 27 May 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a hard time reading too long on the computor. These old eyes get tired. Have you tried reading a book off of that site?

Re: Thousands of books free to download [message #54300 is a reply to message #54299] Fri, 27 May 2005 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I agree it's kind of a problem. Since they download as flat as text files you can enlarge the font as much as you want in notepad - makes reading easier.

Re: Thousands of books free to download [message #54301 is a reply to message #54300] Sat, 28 May 2005 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Now this is a usefull link; really thanks much. See ya'll later I'll be reading some for a while.

PG Wodehouse [message #54304 is a reply to message #54296] Mon, 20 June 2005 08:59 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I liek your analogy to Cole Porter, since most PGW books are et at about the same time, except they are in England. As one critic observed, "PGW's idyllic world will never stale..".
I have read almost all his books as a kid, and still occasionally read them.

The closest modern analgy to PGW I have seen is the brilliant TV show; Seinfeld.
A similar idyllic world created in MAnhattan, with its own set of mores and characters, the parallels to PGW's world is striking!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Seattle
Next Topic: this is what happens if your undies are too small for you
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 23:39:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers