Home » xyzzy » Tower » Jesus;Mary and Joseph; will he never go home!
Jesus;Mary and Joseph; will he never go home! [message #54043] Sun, 01 August 2004 14:09 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I like to follow the Altec Users Forumn as I still have a pair or two lying around pre-Pi days. Well lo and Behold our old friend Romy the loser has poked his head in there and now the site is becoming unreadable. They are such a well mannered bunch over there I think they don't know how to take him. I only bring up bad memories because he does mention the Pi site and claims he has never posted there, but that his imposter imitators have. One of these days... bang; zoom, to the moon alice!!

Re: Jesus; Mary and Joseph; will he never go home! [message #54044 is a reply to message #54043] Sun, 01 August 2004 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Romy is proof that the INS wasn't doing its job.

Re: Jesus; Mary and Joseph; will he never go home! [message #54045 is a reply to message #54044] Sun, 01 August 2004 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; what a sockpuppet!

Re: Jesus; Mary and Joseph; will he never go home! [message #54046 is a reply to message #54045] Sun, 01 August 2004 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Maybe just a sock?

"Sockpuppets" generally have an agenda, puppeted by a person using a false identity. They take fake names, not just for fun, but in order to mask their true identity. This is done to appear unbiased and to sell an idea or make a particular point. But from what I can make out of Romy's ramblings, he seems like an equal opportunity basher.

Romy craves attention and he tries to get it by being rude and insulting people. He seems to focus on people he perceives as being minor celebrities or highly visible in the field. But no one is immune to his attacks, I don't think he has anything good to say about anyone but himself.

And he ain't hidin' nuthin', neither [message #54047 is a reply to message #54046] Sun, 01 August 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/

Re: And he ain't hidin' nuthin', neither [message #54048 is a reply to message #54047] Sun, 01 August 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Did you know Romy's had that site running since 2000?

No, I just found it a week ago [message #54049 is a reply to message #54048] Mon, 02 August 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Jesus; Mary and Joseph; will he never go home! [message #54050 is a reply to message #54046] Mon, 02 August 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Oh yeah, I knew watcha meant the first time I ever heard you use that expression. I just find it hugely amusing. However there is another way to look at it. In order to manipulate the sock puppet itself you must insert your hand into the ass end of the sock then use your fist to manipulate the head..... of the Sock, if you catch my drift.
He would go away if we ignored him.
While we are here the discussion of power supplies buried in the Welborne thread; any chance that could be revived;(I mean the power supply part). I find power supplies pretty interesting and some explanations would be very helpful.

Re: Jesus; Mary and Joseph; will he never go home! [message #54051 is a reply to message #54050] Mon, 02 August 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, man, that's funny! And it kind of makes sense too, in an odd sort of way.

About the power supplies, sure, let's kick it around some more. Maybe toss out a thread on the Tubes forum, or I guess it could be anywhere for that matter. I don't know anything about the DRD circuit, so maybe someone else will comment on it specifically. But I'd be happy to discuss power supplies in general.

Supplies that have active regulation will sense the load and change their output so that the voltage is maintained constant. They have feedback; They're a closed loop system.

But simple supplies without regulators are completely dependent on source and load conditions. If they have no load, they'll reach maximum voltage. Whatever voltage is presented to their inputs is rectified and the DC output reaches very near the transformed AC peak value.

In other words, if a transformer is made to have a 12 volt secondary, it's made with about a 10-to-1 ratio, so 120 volts is stepped down to 12 volts. AC line current is 120 V RMS, which is about 170V peak. So the transformed peak value will be 17 volts. That's what I'd expect from an unloaded, unregulated 12 volt supply.

As the load is increased, the voltage drops. It should come near the RMS value when fully loaded, but if the supply uses RC filters instead of LC filters, it will continue to drop as load current increases. So any unregulated supply has a pretty wide voltage tolerance. A 12 volt supply will probably be anywhere between 10 and 20 volts. If it is highly loaded, it can drop even more.

I don't know anything about that DRD circuit, but you can see how if the tubes are all biased so they aren't drawing much quiescent current, the supply will tend to float high. There are actually probably a few power supply voltages present, at least a B+ and a filament voltage. There may be more. Any of the power supply lines might be connected to components that are sensitive or need a fairly narrow window of acceptable voltages. But if the circuit isn't regulated, an engineer might use an adjustable voltage divider or something so it can be set. Or maybe there is no adjustment provided, but the technician/hobbyist might set the voltage using hand-picked resistors on the bench.

Re: Jesus; Mary and Joseph; will he never go home! [message #54052 is a reply to message #54051] Mon, 02 August 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
According to the schematic of the DRD it uses an un-regulated diode rectified RCL Pi type filter. They claim no audio signal passes through the power supply and now your getting past my knowledge. They return the signal from the transformer to the cathode instead of from the power supply to the cathode. Would you like to take this over to the tube forumn; I mean I personally find it interesting, maybe they will.

Previous Topic: PayPal Class Action Settlement
Next Topic: Ever wonder why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:16:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout