Home » xyzzy » Tower » A Good Word for AudioXPress
A Good Word for AudioXPress [message #53950] Tue, 04 May 2004 19:16 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Ten or fifteen years ago I subscribed to Stereophile. It was pretty far out, and most of the stuff was not available in Wichita. But I kept on thinking that perhaps I could "learn something."

Then one issure had a fairly extensive "review" of cables. All the comparisons were made (as I remember) as if the reviewer could actually hear these things. What bull! So, I did not renew my subscription. Ever since, when I get an offer for a year of Stereophile for $12, I toss it in the trash.

I bought an issue or two of Audioxpress. Interesting, but way overpriced. Then Bill Fitzmaurice referred to an article he wrote, and I bought that issue. I decided to subscribe, because maybe I could "learn something."

I soon got my first issue along with the bill. And what should be in the very first issue but a useless article about cables along with a stupid full-page comparison "review." (Puke.) (BTW, if your religion is that you can hear the difference between 95% oxygen free and 99% oxygen free, more power to you. But I'll stick to the cheap stuff from Lowe's myself, as that is my religion. Besides, as a retired college teacher, that is all I can afford!!)

I was disgusted, but I felt committed, and I sent in my check for $35 with a sick feeling in my stomach. After all, Stereophile was only $12! But I wrote a note on the back of the bill saying that if that was the type of junk that they published, I would not be resubscribing.

Well they sent me my check back and cancelled my subscription!!!

How about that?! I thought that it was a very honorable thing to do!

OOPS! I meant to send this to the Dungeon. Sorry. [message #53951 is a reply to message #53950] Tue, 04 May 2004 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
oops

Re: A Good Word for AudioXPress [message #53953 is a reply to message #53950] Wed, 05 May 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think your post does belong here.

Despite your feelings about what they publish, the publishers of aX are obviously people of high integrity and should be recognized for it.

Re: A Good Word for AudioXPress [message #53955 is a reply to message #53950] Wed, 05 May 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, I think the folks at AudioXpress would be pleased that you found them to be an honorable bunch. Not everyone buys aftermarket cables, but apparently some do.

The only reason I posted about cables in the Dungeon is because the Moderator didn't want a fight about the Asylum to break out in General. It wasn't really that discussions about cables are prohibited, only fights about cables are prohibited.

Cables can be discussed in General or here, or in the Dungeon for that matter. But since the moderator had already taken issue with the Audio Asylum fight about cables, I made a post in the Dungeon instead, sort of in reply to the earlier cables thread in General. It could have just as well been discussed in General, or here in the Tower.

I guess cables just seem to be a really volatile topic. I can't understand it, and I would never have guessed that people get so emotionally charged. To me it's like getting emotionally charged about bolts. Use bolts having the right properties for the job, nothing to talk about. But cable discussions on some audio message boards seem to take the same intensity as heated topics of religion or politics.

Re: A Good Word for AudioXPress [message #53959 is a reply to message #53955] Mon, 17 May 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Unless those bolts are sticking out of the sides of your neck, ala Hermann Munster. He tends to make more sense than your average cable shootout. Reveiwers get good money for doing that.

Re: A Good Word for AudioXPress [message #53960 is a reply to message #53959] Mon, 17 May 2004 17:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: The Concordes last flight
Next Topic: Some Good Books . . .
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:14:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers