Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp
Amp [message #53212] Sun, 15 February 2009 06:33 Go to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Wayne ... Is asking for amp suggestions for the PI 7 (bass unit only) too broad of question? So far my Hafler 120 is fine, but not seeing punch. Speaker is P.Audio 150/2226. Will have JBL 2226 soon.
Zene

Re: Amp [message #53213 is a reply to message #53212] Sun, 15 February 2009 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would expect that amplifier would be fine. I've used lots of amps to drive 2226's with good results, from flea power tube amps like the Paramours to a little more tube watts like the Audio Note Kit 2 to receivers like a Harman Kardon HK3470 receiver to brute force arc welder amps like Crown Microtechs and Macrotechs. Always seemed to me the speaker was more important than the amp with respect to sound quality.

Using multi-subs to smooth bass response in room [message #53214 is a reply to message #53213] Sun, 15 February 2009 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you ever considered using multiple subwoofers? The multi-sub configuration not only provides deeper bass extension but also smoothes room modes.

I've used seven π cornerhorns by themselves in many rooms and been absolutely thrilled by their performance. But I can't think of any setup that isn't improved with the addition of multiple subs.

The π cornerhorn configuration provides the most uniform directivity possible. I know of no other loudspeaker configuration that can do better, because it sets the pattern and provides constant directivity all the way down to the Schroeder frequency, and offers improved imaging as well. However, below the Schroeder frequency, room modes dominate. Somewhere between 100Hz and 200Hz, room modes begin to set the positions where energy distribution is strong and weak, and certainly below 100Hz, the room becomes the primary determiner of bass response.

The π cornerhorn configuration can be improved using multiple subwoofers, just like any other loudspeaker setup. In fact, in some rooms, I suppose the improvement of bass uniformity may even be greater. Below 100Hz or so, the key is to have multiple bass sound sources blended together. You could install a pair of three π subwoofers in the corners opposite to your seven π cornerhorns. Alternately, use CARA to model the room and find out what placements work best in your room.
Re: Using multi-subs to smooth bass response in room [message #53215 is a reply to message #53214] Sun, 15 February 2009 19:14 Go to previous message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Wayne ... Sage advice, you always keep me from spending money in the wrong place. What I am missing is that gut wrenching output I got in the late seventies (yes, disco too) from my SpeakerLab cornerhorns with a bunch of horns above that. Just so happens I am experimenting with some very small sub boxes, not small speakers, though. Should be perfect for multiples. Zene
P.S. Just to stir up trouble, I'm so tired of the coffin/single driver box crowd I could spit. Clean and refined, but when have you ever been to a concert that did that except for some tiny ensemble?

Previous Topic: speaker builder in/near Salem, Oregon
Next Topic: Alpha-8 max. volume ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:45:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout