Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Alternate woofer for 3Pi
Alternate woofer for 3Pi [message #53113] Wed, 21 January 2009 16:09 Go to next message
Stollie is currently offline  Stollie
Chancellor
Has anyone used an alternate woofer for the 3Pi? Perhaps the 4012HO Definimax?

Re: Alternate woofer for 3Pi [message #53115 is a reply to message #53113] Wed, 21 January 2009 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I found the Magnums didn't work well in three π and four π loudspeakers. They don't fare well in the upper midrange. That's really critical in a speaker like this, you need one that is designed for use at relatively high frequency and has a well damped cone. The Magnums, with their mesh dust caps, tended to do fine up to a point, and then breakup was sharp.

Re: Alternate woofer for 3Pi [message #53117 is a reply to message #53115] Wed, 21 January 2009 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. I'm just partial to cast frames vs stamped steel. What about the Delta Pro-12A 12" Cast Frame Driver. Says' it good past 4K. It may be a bit bass shy, but that could be handled via multiple subs.

How 'bout a four π speaker? [message #53120 is a reply to message #53117] Wed, 21 January 2009 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The four π cabinet is no bigger than the three π and it uses the Omega 15 or JBL 2226. How 'bout upgrading to one of those?

And, yes, by all means add subs. Makes the bass smoooooth.

Re: How 'bout a four π speaker? [message #53121 is a reply to message #53120] Thu, 22 January 2009 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne, I've looked a the 4Pi, but I'm not keen on the idea of the woofer practically sitting on the floor. There's also the cost consideration of the JBL2226. But I'll look again. Would you kindly send plans for both the 3 and 4 Pi?

Re: How 'bout a four π speaker? [message #53122 is a reply to message #53121] Thu, 22 January 2009 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I rest mine on small angled risers, which lift the front of the speakers about three inches and the rear only about one inch. This has an effect of angling the forward axis up slightly. In this position, the tweeter is at ear level when seated.

Another option that is made attractive when using multiple subs is to put the speakers on stands, a foot or foot and a half tall. This puts the midwoofer at ear level seated. The floor bounce that would be created by raising the midwoofer is mitigated by use of multiple subs. For this to work, a sub has to be put a few feet away from each speaker and in a different position in all three planes. The floor bounce notch is found in the upper midbass to lower midrange, so the subs have to be low-passed relatively high, 90Hz to 120Hz or so is fine. It will blend perfectly. If further modal smoothing is desired at lower frequencies, another sub or two can be placed further away, and crossed over lower.

I suggest trying both approaches. You can use books or milk cartons as temporary stands to try various placements in your room. When you find what works best, make attractive stands to accomplish that permanently.

Re: How 'bout a four π speaker? [message #53123 is a reply to message #53122] Thu, 22 January 2009 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks again. Can I have plans for both the 3Pi and 4Pi?.

You've got mail! [message #53124 is a reply to message #53123] Thu, 22 January 2009 20:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Min Box size for 4Pi?
Next Topic: Subs ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 04:44:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers