Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » higher cut-off for 7pi
higher cut-off for 7pi [message #52938] Wed, 10 December 2008 16:50 Go to next message
Larry is currently offline  Larry
Chancellor
i read in this forum that the cut-off of the woofer for the 7pi speaker is 250hz.what will be the effect if i increase the cutoff to 400hz to accommodate a compression driver in the mids?

thanks

Re: higher cut-off for 7pi [message #52943 is a reply to message #52938] Wed, 10 December 2008 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

2¢ worth of advice:

Don't use a compression driver midrange. One of the design features of the π cornerhorn is overlap between bass and midrange that mitigates floor bounce. Another is midrange output low enough in frequency that most of the fundamentals are covered by the midhorn. I'm not opposed to using a midwoofer at midrange frequencies, but I don't like splitting the band there. Middle C is 260Hz, 400Hz is around G above that. I prefer to keep the crossovers outside the two octave band from middle C up.

Bottom line is, don't do it. You can make a speaker sort of like a π cornerhorn with a 400Hz crossover, but it won't sound anything like the ones we make. I'm not trying to impeach your idea, but I have made speakers like that and I found the mids detached from the bass. I prefer a two-way setup with crossover outside the C4-to-C6 band to a three-way with crossover in that frequency range.

Re: higher cut-off for 7pi [message #52944 is a reply to message #52943] Thu, 11 December 2008 06:33 Go to previous message
Larry is currently offline  Larry
Chancellor
thanks for the reply.

Previous Topic: Help with 4Pi box (newbie questions)
Next Topic: Beta 12LTA revisited
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:55:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout