Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Back to the Aikido
Back to the Aikido [message #52852] Mon, 10 November 2008 08:40 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Finally worked up the courage to build the power supply from the schematic (first time for me to build from a schematic) Steve Brown designed for me. The HV is a CLC to a tube rectifier, the filaments a full-wave bridge with voltage divider. Almost done, just have to wire up the CRC smoother after the bridge. The 4Pis should really sing with the added gain from my 2 watt 45 amp.

Check the middle switch at the rear: it enables switching between a Russian K-40 .22uF PIO, a 2.2uF Obbligato or both in parallel for the output. A cap shoot-out with the turn of a dial!

I just had to sneek a peek at all those 6SN7s. I don't know if I'll use the 5R4 rectifier but it looks cooler than the little 5AR4 spec'd...

Stay tuned.

Re: Back to the Aikido [message #52853 is a reply to message #52852] Mon, 10 November 2008 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Looking good Bill,

I haven't looked at the Akido design lately. I was wondering if the second 6SN7 is a cathode follower? If it is, it might be fun to somehow install a switch where you can switch out the first 6SN7 gain stage.

I owned a VAC preamp several years ago that had switchable gain stages that used 12AX7's for the gain, and a 12AU7 for cathode follower. Switching out the gain stages all together was my preference, but had a slight negative gain. As with all components in the signal path, they introduce their own signature.

Keep us informed of your progress?

I am very curious of how well your 2 watts will go towards driving the Four Pi's?
I will be building a 2.5-way version of the Four Pi using 2226J's with Beyma CP-385ND 1" CD and TD-250 horn.

I am hoping two watts will be enough to get them a rocking at 100db efficiency.

Have fun!

NW

Re: Back to the Aikido [message #52854 is a reply to message #52853] Mon, 10 November 2008 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
With just a passive volume pot, 2 watts gets loud enough for Dire Straits but not for the Who. Loud enough for Count Basie but not the Cleveland Orchestra, w/o serious clipping.

The Aikido is described by Broskie as "a 2 tube cathode follower with the first tube a vlotage divider of 50%, so that 50% of the PS noise is presented to the CFs grid; at the same time the 100k resistors also define a voltage divider of 505 so the bottom triodes grid also sees 50 % of the PS noise. Since both of these signals are equal in amplitude and phase, they cancel each other out, as each triode sees an identical increase in plate current."

I have no idea what any of that means...

Re: Back to the Aikido [message #52857 is a reply to message #52854] Mon, 10 November 2008 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oooh, that's sweet, Bill! Keep us posted!

Re: Back to the Aikido [message #52858 is a reply to message #52857] Tue, 11 November 2008 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
Do let us know your impressions! I've always been intrigued by the circuit.

G.

Re: Back to the Aikido [message #52859 is a reply to message #52852] Tue, 11 November 2008 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
All that work for 2 watts, It does look nice though. Hope to see pics of it when its completed.

Re: Back to the Aikido [message #52876 is a reply to message #52852] Mon, 17 November 2008 18:23 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Bill, your transformer 5v winding is only good for 2A, and I think the 5R4 is hotter than that. Check it out.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Build Tips
Next Topic: Move over Albert, Robert J., Lesley and Enrico
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:58:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout