Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Dome tweeter with JBL 2226J?
Dome tweeter with JBL 2226J? [message #52184] Sun, 08 June 2008 06:07 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm once again looking at the Morel MDT-37 horn loaded dome, 93dB efficiency with the 97dB 2226.

If it's necessary to pad the woofer, how would I effect that?

The Morel appears to be able to go down to 1600Hz so it would be a drop in to replace the DE-250 I'm now using. Comments?

Alternative tweeter for JBL 2226 [message #52185 is a reply to message #52184] Sun, 08 June 2008 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Bill,

Here is an interesting design using an Audax TWO34X-P47N tweeter in unison with a wave guide.

If you are wanting to specifically use a dome tweeter with the 2226. This could be a choice that has a higher sensitivity rating where it should be easier to mate it to your woofer.

FYI

Norris Wilson

Synergy [message #52186 is a reply to message #52184] Sun, 08 June 2008 13:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How about trying the Morel tweeter by swapping out the DX-25 in a one π or two π speaker? I think those would be better uses for the Morel tweeter and I'll bet they would sound good. If you can find an old JBL 2115 woofer on eBay, it's an excellent woofer for a speaker like that. Another good woofer option would be the Fostex F200A.

In the four π loudspeaker, the horn tweeter directivity is matched to the midwoofer in the crossover range. This allows a smooth transition not only on-axis but off-axis as well. Plus, the sensitivity of the woofer is just right for matching the tweeter's passive EQ scheme. You need about 10dB to provide conjugate compensation of the power response curve, and that's the amount of difference between woofer and tweeter, so it's a perfect match. There's synergy in that combination.

Previous Topic: Pi4
Next Topic: Plans 4 PI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:21:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout