Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi towers anyone tried a T amp? Trends TA 10.1 or Pop Pulse T 40i or?
2Pi towers anyone tried a T amp? Trends TA 10.1 or Pop Pulse T 40i or? [message #52089] Mon, 28 April 2008 01:04 Go to next message
captaincrunch is currently offline  captaincrunch
Esquire
Anyone tried the 1Pi or 2Pi speakers with a T-Amp? How did they sound? Any other recommendations for Integrated Amps for these speakers?
Thanks Jeff

Solid state amps [message #52091 is a reply to message #52089] Mon, 28 April 2008 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have owned several solid-state amps over the years, from chip amps to larger discrete amps. Everything from 10 watt chips to 100 watt chips to 1200 watts developed using banks of parallel NPN and PNP transistors. I've never owned a T-Amp but have heard several. They sound fine until pushed hard. I guess that could be said of any amplifier.

As long as an audio amplifier is used well under its limits, it sounds good to me. Except for cheap little amps that have excessive zero-crossing distortion, I find this to be true of most amplifiers. Where they start to get weird is when they are pushed hard. Most amps sound bad when they get close to clipping but some are milder than others and some are downright harsh.

I have been particularly fond of the late seventies Yamaha amps using integrated circuit outputs. I also like NAD amps. For all out power, Crown makes great gear. On the smaller end, the National 3875 is a good chip amp. Be sure the power supply provides enough current for full output without a lot of voltage drop and use a lot of capacitance to keep load ripple down to a minimum.

Re: Solid state amps [message #52093 is a reply to message #52091] Mon, 28 April 2008 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captaincrunch is currently offline  captaincrunch
Esquire
Thanks! Never built a DIY amp. Any sugguestions for tube Integrated amps? I do like deep well contolled bass. these speakers may be different but I generally find tube amps lacking in bass.

Tube amp kits [message #52094 is a reply to message #52093] Mon, 28 April 2008 15:55 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've owned several tube amps in the past five years or so, and many of them were kits. My favorites have been the Audio Note Kit 2 and the Stoetkit Jr. MkII. I think the Audio Note Kit 1 must be very nice too, and the higher-end Stoetkits are probably great. But at $700 for the Stoetkit and $1300 for the Audio Note Kit 2, they're hard to beat. Neither is lacking in bass.

Previous Topic: low mid tapped horn
Next Topic: pi6 crossover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:08:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout