Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Adventures in biamping
Adventures in biamping [message #51828] Sat, 16 February 2008 13:28 Go to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
All, I finally made it to the next stage of things and bought another amp and a digital xover. All to try out a pair of drivers.
The setup goes like this: The big boxes are 4 Pi's with 1.6KHz passive x-overs. The new driver/horns are a Selenium D-250X's on PE horns and Eminence
APT-50's on the bigger PE eliptcal horns with a 3.5KHz passive. What's really cool, is with the digital x-over, simply by sweeping
the x-over freq., I can move the power from just the 4Pi's (x-over at 20KHz), to eliminating the PSD-2002's by going anywhere from
700-1.6KHz and combinations in between. The new horns are somewhat different, not necessarily better or worse. I've included a
couple of photos. I've got an RTA/digital EQ showing up so I can see what it thinks about the differences and flatten out both configs.
Front view

from the back

Re: Adventures in biamping [message #51831 is a reply to message #51828] Sun, 17 February 2008 15:12 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Biamping is definitely a good thing. I always do dilligence in designing a good passive crossover, because I think that's still the most popular way speakers are used. I want people to be able to use the speakers with a typical receiver or amp, and not need an active crossover and amps to to them. But if you have the gear, it's great to run 'em that way.

I wonder which would be better, a passive crossover with Auricaps and large pure copper air-core coils or an active analog crossover with generic electrolytics and low-cost op-amps. Or a digital crossover with ADCs and DACs. With active crossovers, you have the benefits of reduced bandwidth in each amp but there is added complexity in the system overall. A digital crossover can easily set delay for any channel, a definite plus for people running basshorns. Lots of variables to consider.

On a similar note, I've been using Keith Larson's new WTPro/ST system which uses DSP to create filters from Spice files. It's like having a Spice parser that sets up an active crossover for testing. It's a great tool for crossover design work!

Previous Topic: For Sale; Seven Pi Proffesional Pair JBL in Cherry.
Next Topic: Alpha 8 or 10?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 14:21:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout