Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Compression units:- Eminence vs. B&C how do they compare?
Compression units:- Eminence vs. B&C how do they compare? [message #51805] Fri, 08 February 2008 08:04 Go to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
I see there is now an option to use the B&C DE205, how does this unit compare to the PSD2002?

Paul

Re: Compression units:- Eminence vs. B&C how do they compare? [message #51806 is a reply to message #51805] Fri, 08 February 2008 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
the Eminence is one of the great values in audio- it gives a really nice sound for the price. However, the B &C is an even greater value, especially at the price Wayne sells them for (I just looked it up). I paid 50% more, on sale, and was still very satisfied, as it's very smooth, airy, little more extension, and incredible on jazz, classical, and vocals. For awhile I had a B & C in one and the Eminence in the other, and everyone who listened could tell the difference immediately and vastly preferred the B&C. At Wayne's price, I'd go for the B&C and don't look back.

Re: Compression units:- Eminence vs. B&C how do they compare? [message #51807 is a reply to message #51805] Fri, 08 February 2008 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both are good drivers, but the DE250 is a little smoother. It also has a little higher voltage sensitivity than the PSD2002. See the response chart below:

The measurements were done without the crossover. You'll notice there is about 6dB drop in output at 10kHz compared with 1kHz. The crossover components R1, R2 and R3 lift the top octave to make the overall response curve flat. Values of R1 and R2 provide slightly more padding for the DE250 but crossovers for both drivers provide the same overall curve for top octave augmentation. They both sound good but the DE250 has slightly less ripple.

Re: Compression units:- Eminence vs. B&C how do they compare? [message #51813 is a reply to message #51806] Mon, 11 February 2008 06:57 Go to previous message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Unfortunately, being UK based (even with the beneficial exchange rates) shipping costs make anything but the PCB's prohibitively expensive. At close to $2000 (for the stage 7 kit's I would like to build) by the time I've added import duty, tax and fees - Inland Revenue here consider the shipping costs as part of the total to be taxed! Price for UK sourced parts with the unstuffed PCB's about $1340 and that's using lower rated crossover components and no cabinet materials, hook-up wire, terminals..... I suppose its a testament to how much I'd like to give these a try that I'm even considering them at this price. I suspect the total build will equate to nearly $2000 and that buys some quite nice off the shelf speakers. But, if I go ahead (I have corners and I'd want to use them) it will be with the B&C units - I like my treble very smooth.

Paul

Previous Topic: Web site disapears?
Next Topic: Cabinet Material
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:31:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers