Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Suitable top for basshorn
Suitable top for basshorn [message #51196] Mon, 25 June 2007 04:51 Go to next message
XSNRG is currently offline  XSNRG
Esquire
I am building a speaker system for a disco and would need plans for the basshorn and a suitable top to match, thanks in advance.

12π basshorn subwoofer / 9π full range top [message #51200 is a reply to message #51196] Mon, 25 June 2007 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a wonderful basshorn available - the 12π basshorn subwoofer. It is available as a completed cabinet, as a flat pack kit or a driver kit. I can send plans if you're interested.

The matching 9π top box is conceptually designed but not ready for sending plans out yet. My progress on new projects is very slow because I have a lot of other responsibilities right now that keep new loudspeaker development at a snail's pace. You can take the 9π concept and implement it easily though since it is just three straight horns.

Re: 12π basshorn subwoofer / 9π full range top [message #51203 is a reply to message #51200] Mon, 25 June 2007 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks you Wayne, for the concept pertaining to the top for basshorn subwoofer.I awaits your plan when it's available,in the meantime i will accept the plans for the basshorn.

You've got mail! [message #51204 is a reply to message #51203] Mon, 25 June 2007 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: 12π basshorn subwoofer / 9π full range top [message #51205 is a reply to message #51200] Tue, 26 June 2007 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for well needed information. I plan yo try and try and implement a 9Pi top, can i get a side elevation sketch, so that i can understand more, the horn placement concept?

Re: 12π basshorn subwoofer / 9π full range top [message #51206 is a reply to message #51205] Tue, 26 June 2007 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Each horn is to be independent of each other. This makes them more configurable for the installer. The challenge is how to make them most configurable and at the same time make them easy to setup in a building block approach. For example, with the cabinets in the shape of a truncated pyramid, they are easily splayed but they don't sit nicely on top of one another. The solution is external hardware brackets, which allow multiple placements to be possible. That's where I'm at with the design. Conceptually, it is three indepedent horns having cabinets shaped like truncated pyramids with brackets that are adjustable to allow them to sit one on top of each other or to be arrayed in groups.

Wayne: what are you thinking in terms of crossovers... [message #51207 is a reply to message #51200] Tue, 26 June 2007 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xcortes is currently offline  xcortes
Baron
and compensation?

Thanks,

xavier

All active [message #51208 is a reply to message #51207] Tue, 26 June 2007 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There would be no good reason to incorporate a passive crossover in a system like this.

a good reason [message #51209 is a reply to message #51208] Tue, 26 June 2007 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xcortes is currently offline  xcortes
Baron
if the slopes permit, maybe pasive line level crossovers would work?

Delay lines [message #51210 is a reply to message #51209] Tue, 26 June 2007 16:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, passive line level crossovers could be used. If you think about it, analog active filters are generally just passive components surrounded by active buffer stages. So a passive line level crossover is not much different than an analog active crossover.

On the other hand, the basshorn is long enough that some delay for the mains is in order. The midrage and tweeter horns are about the same length, but the midbass horn is longer. Appropriate delays for each subsystem could be done with position, but electronic delay lines are probably more convenient. This makes more sophisticated crossovers somewhat attractive.

Previous Topic: altec valencia n-800-F crossover
Next Topic: 7 PI CORNER HORNS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:45:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout