Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Truck bed liner.
Truck bed liner. [message #50995] Mon, 23 April 2007 14:54 Go to next message
lamalta is currently offline  lamalta
Esquire
I wanted to ask those who have used it to paint their speakers what brand they reccomend and where they bought it? I find some kits on the internet to be pretty expensive. I'm looking for a color as deep black as you can get. I would paint it on with a coarse roller.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Truck bed liner. [message #51000 is a reply to message #50995] Mon, 23 April 2007 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The stuff you get at Wal-Mart works very well, and it's easy to grab a gallon. We covered the prototype 12π basshorn with it, and it worked very well. It comes in a gallon can, and you apply it with a textured roller. It's fast and easy to use and is durable.

Re: Truck bed liner. [message #51001 is a reply to message #50995] Mon, 23 April 2007 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master

My brother built a 2x12 guitar cab last year and finished it with truck bed liner paint rolled on with a texture roller supplied in the kit. This is messy, wear rubber gloves. The results are well worth it, a durable finish that from a few feet away looks very similar to Tolex vinyl covering. I will try to attach a photo of his cab with a Crate amp head (Tolex covering) so you can see this.

He just finished another guitar cab for himself (1x12, 2x12) and a 1x15 bass gt cab for his son. He used the kit they sell at Walmart, not sure if it is Herculiner or another brand. You might also consider just checking with a commercial truck bed place (Gator, Rhino, etc) and seeing what they would charge. A local truck bed outfit here would charge, for a pair of large PA speakers, about the same as one of the "kits". I asked about adhesion to ply, and they replied even better than to metal. They have done the entire speaker inventory of a large commercial sound company.

I'll put one photo in the image link, which should show up in this post. I'll put a url link to the other photo.

The Crate head on top of the stack is Tolex. Compare appearance to the speakers.

Re: Truck bed liner. [message #51002 is a reply to message #50995] Mon, 23 April 2007 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
I used the Herculiner for a pair of large 4-Pi's. Wierd stuff. Seems to work OK. It took me two coats to really cover bare wood.
Can't remember if I had to buy 2 or 3 quart cans. Makes a huge mess.
Use lots of paper on the floor, and work outside the house.
Chris

Re: Truck bed liner. [message #51018 is a reply to message #50995] Tue, 24 April 2007 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master

Here in Portugal they have this stuff (using compressed air)
www.line-x.com/oem.htm

in forums they are talking about this other stuff
DuraTex Speaker Cabinet Texture
http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119&catid=19771

also a nice read from CARVIN:

Re: Truck bed liner. [message #51027 is a reply to message #50995] Fri, 27 April 2007 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I recommend a product called DuraTex made by Acrytech (www.acrytech.com). It is essentially truck bed liner specifically designed for speakers. I used it and it turned out very well.

Re: Truck bed liner. [message #51029 is a reply to message #51000] Mon, 30 April 2007 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh Billings is currently offline  Josh Billings
Esquire
I gotta disagree with you. The stuff you get at wal mart - Duplicolor Bed Liner is kinda junky. I've heard of much much better results with Herculiner or this stuff called "warnex" paint from over sears.

Spend the extra money for Herculiner, the Duplicolor stuff has already chipped for me a few times and i've only used the speakers like 3 times

However if they aren't being moved I would actually use the duraliner stuff with a REGULAR roller to give it a non textured finish but better than paint.

-Josh Billings

Re: Truck bed liner. [message #51031 is a reply to message #51029] Mon, 30 April 2007 08:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We only used the Wal-Mart stuff on the prototype. Now, each panel is coated professionally right after being cut on the CNC machine. The dados are masked and the stuff is applied at a paint shop. But I had no trouble with the Wal-Mart coating, and found it pretty durable. The main thing I can see is you're buying it retail, so the price can probably be beat buying other places.

Previous Topic: sub amp
Next Topic: my first DIY speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:17:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout