Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My first crossover network: pic and questions
My first crossover network: pic and questions [message #50725] Wed, 21 February 2007 20:01 Go to next message
xcortes is currently offline  xcortes
Baron
I had never before built a crossover. Here's the first for my Pi4s. It's still missing a couple of belts. Should I worry of components, particularly resistors, getting too hot and melt the belts? (I will use the speakers with 8 watt amps but maybe someday my kids grow and throw a party :>)). Also, should I also use some hot melt glue to better fix the components? Thanks, xavier

Re: My first crossover network: pic and questions [message #50727 is a reply to message #50725] Thu, 22 February 2007 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
The hot melt glue is not good when you have to change a component. Some factories use it with good results (acoustic).
(the xover) Looks good for me.(I just can't remember if those you use are non inductance resistors?, if they say so it's oki-doki). If like you say they are "to hot and melt the belts" will be a good warning sign, anyway they sell manufactured supports just for the resistors, try a good shop for that size you use.
The coils are just fine (perfect) I would put them apart because of the magnetic field, or then turn one 90 degrees.(Like one in the vertical pos. and one in the horizontal position).

Re: My first crossover network: pic and questions [message #50728 is a reply to message #50727] Thu, 22 February 2007 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
the resistors are indeed non inductive, at least that's what parts express sold me . i will indeed turn one of the chokes to have it vertical as you suggested. i will also try to find the belts for the resistors although i might keep these ones temporarily if you don't see much of a risk.

thanks a lot!

xavier

Re: My first crossover network: pic and questions [message #50729 is a reply to message #50728] Thu, 22 February 2007 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks very good, although I would rotate one coil so they are oriented 90° to each other, as dB said. You can use silicon glue rather than hot glue if you think you might want to swap components someday. Components can be removed from silicon glue without damage. The resistors will indeed get hot enough to melt the cable-ties at full power, but not at 8 watts.

Re: My first crossover network: pic and questions [message #50730 is a reply to message #50729] Thu, 22 February 2007 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks wayne. I will rotate one coil and build the other four crossover networks!

Re: My first crossover network: pic and questions [message #50750 is a reply to message #50730] Wed, 28 February 2007 17:47 Go to previous message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Regarding gluing the components... for some years now I have been using a class of glues known as "SBR Adhesives". The manufacture's rep I spoke with on the phone says this is Styrene Butadyene Rubber. These glues dry clear, are very slightly rubbery, but quite strong. By having a little flex they maintain a good bond.

If a component needs to be removed, you can slice through the glue with a sharp knife, or just pry it off.

The brands I use are E6000 by Eclectic Products, and Aleene's Platinum Bond 7800 by Aleene's. The 7800 is slightly less viscous than the E6000.

These glues gel up quickly, and are excellent for gluing dissimilar materials, wood to plastic, metal to wood, metal to plastic, etc.

Available in hardware, hobby, and craft shops. I have found both in Walmart.

Previous Topic: One last question
Next Topic: Pi 4 Professional
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:47:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout