Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Crossover
Crossover [message #50417] Sun, 24 December 2006 00:34 Go to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Wayne- I have some Q's about your passive x-over(s), if you don't mind.
1.) Do you sell them as a separate component?
2.) How many variations of your 1.6kHz x-over exist? That is, do you have modifications for different driver options (Eminence, B&C, JBL, etc.)? Here, I'm thinking about your Midhorn/HF combo.
3.) Since the HF driver is set forward of the Midhorn driver, how does the x-over compensate for this offset? Here, I'm again thinking about the coaxial variation of mounting an HF horn in the mouth of the Midhorn. (Yup, this mod still appeals to me!)
Happy Holidays to all!

Re: Crossover [message #50418 is a reply to message #50417] Sun, 24 December 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The crossovers are available separately for $99.00 each. They are optimized for the application, and so aren't always suitable for general purpose. The positions of midhorn and tweeter are important for summing to be right.

Re: Crossover [message #50435 is a reply to message #50418] Wed, 27 December 2006 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
My intent for the crossover would be your existing midhorn/HF application, and not for GP. I was simply wondering if the HF horn's frontal position (above, below, either side, or inside) were important as long as the depth ratio between drivers were preserved? (I already had some intuition that summing was involved.) And, if another compression driver were used (like a B&C, for instance), might any conjugate or compensative filters differ?

Re: Crossover [message #50439 is a reply to message #50435] Thu, 28 December 2006 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the wavelenths at crossover and driver position are calculated to ensure proper summing. Measurements prove each driver is exactly where it needs to be for summing to be right through the overlap band. Compression drivers act pretty similarly at low frequencies (where crossover is made) so no changes are required when substituting drivers.

Re: Crossover [message #50444 is a reply to message #50439] Thu, 28 December 2006 22:00 Go to previous message
Viscount
Got it! Thanks for the clarification and detail.

Previous Topic: PAS
Next Topic: 9 Pi Midbass horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:44:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout