Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi Tower with laminated pine?
2 Pi Tower with laminated pine? [message #50377] Mon, 11 December 2006 22:18 Go to next message
cootcraig is currently offline  cootcraig
Chancellor
I'm thinking of building a pair of 2 Pi Tower speakers. Bill Epstein's
mention of laminated pine sounded interested so I looked at the local
Home Depot and found they have 18x48x1.25 boards. They also have
oak and birch ply 4'x8' 3/4". The finish will be black. I'm a novice
at woodworking, but have a quality circular saw and edge guide and
have been able to get accurate clean cuts with them.

Any advice on plywood versus laminated pine?
Difference in sound, finishing, bracing, ease of construction?

Thanks

Re: 2 Pi Tower with laminated pine? [message #50378 is a reply to message #50377] Mon, 11 December 2006 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter Owens is currently offline  Walter Owens
Esquire
I'm sure that the laminated pine would be much more pleasant to work with, but I would be concerned that it might ring like a bell. For speaker building purposes that would be a bad thing.

W O

Re: 2 Pi Tower with laminated pine? [message #50379 is a reply to message #50377] Tue, 12 December 2006 08:07 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I couldn't say if pine would be good or bad or indifferent for speakers. Short of holding a tuning fork to the wood and measuring overtones, or, building and listening for yourself, I don't think a judgement could be made.

I would treat the pine just like any other material for bracing, gluing and assembly.

My Home Depot sells a Chinese made plywood for $30/sheet that is constructed as well, and has more plies than the oak and birch for $45. I've used it myself with good results.

The laminated pine doesn't need edge-banding or miters to hide the edges as plywood does and looks good. The downside is that even with the laminations, it won't be as stable as plywood.

Each time I cut up MDF I swear it will be the last! Too heavy and the dust! Then current local price of $20/sheet means even larger speakers cost only $ 20 more to build with the Chinese plywood.

Call around to some local cabinet shops and ask if they would order an extra roll of birch or maple edge-banding for you. A 250' roll costs them about $35 and will see you through several pairs of speakers. It just irons on the exposed edges of the plywood. Remember to adjust the size of the other pieces accordingly, it's about 3/32 thick.

Previous Topic: NOA Speakers
Next Topic: Some stuff for sale!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:30:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout