Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer
LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer [message #49995] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:04 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne,

I'm trying to decide on a subwoofer to complement my Theatre-3 for HT use. Space is tight, so it'll have to be sealed or BR. The Pi-3s alone go plenty low for most music, but they're missing the lowest rumble for HT. I think the Pi-3s are good down to mid-30's in my room, so I'm looking for something to fill in that last octave between 20 and 40.

Your Theatre-3 BR Sub, based on the LAB-12 seems like a logical choice. But I need help getting over its description as "designed for use in pro sound bass horn enclosures". Would this mean I'll be getting compromised performance if I use the LAB-12 in BR or sealed? I would love to hear from people who have used the LAB-12 in BR at home.

Also, what are the main difference between a pro-driver like the LAB-12 vs HT sub drivers like the Titanics or Peerless? I've been very happy in the past few years adapting pro-drivers for home-use in the form of Pi speakers and my JBL system. The advantages of these speakers over "normal home" speakers are apparent in higher sensitivity and power handling. However, the difference between the LAB-12 and "normal" HT sub drivers are not obvious to me.

thx,
Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Professional Four Questions
Next Topic: OK so this is what I'll do (JBL + Altec)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 21:06:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio