Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Horn Loading
Horn Loading [message #38377] Fri, 20 September 2002 09:03 Go to previous message
cddeluca@telocity.com is currently offline  cddeluca@telocity.com
Esquire
I'm hoping somebody here can explain something about horns to me. I've seen comments about how ineffective the typical Altec (eg 816 or 828 enclosure) horn loading in the bass/midrange - statements that the bass cutoff is way too high. What I was wondering is this: isn't the horn cutoff the limit at which the horn effectively loads the driver (impedence matches it to the room)? Below that cutoff, isn't the driver basically a direct radiator (in the case of Altec designs, a typical driver operating in a bass reflex cabinet arrangement)? Is the problem really that the spl level below the horn cutoff will be comparatively too low resulting in a very unbalanced sound? And maybe more to the point, is there any real benefit to horn loading the bass/mid in a domestic environment where the needed "throw" is so very short anyway? I suspect that the "old" Altec cabinets were a necessary augmentation to the driver technology of the time; that all this is moot with modern 15" drivers since all the two-way cinema speakers that I know of use a bass reflex cabinet and do not horn load the bass/mid any longer.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pi Hometheatre System
Next Topic: 2pi port length in larger cabinet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 08:38:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio