Home » Audio » Pro Sound » High output basshorn
Boundary loading [message #27980 is a reply to message #27979] Thu, 04 November 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
My feeling on boundary loading is that you use it where you can. The long pathway/small mouth subhorns I've designed for HT/hI-fi/Autosound all depend on it to provide response in the bottom octave or so. But for pro-sound, where boundary loading is seldom available to you, and large venues make even cabin gain non-existent from 50 Hz up where you really need it, I've made my subs optimized for free-standing via short pathways and large mouths. Danley's concept is fine if you have boundarys that can be utilzed, or if you have the luxury (deep pockets) of having multiple boxes, and the necessary transportation/roadies. But for the great majority of bands and small sound companies that have to make due with a pair of subs rather than a stable it's a concept that has little practicality.

As to drivers,I prefer an eight for HT, while for for mid-level prosound a ten is adequate. For pro-touring a single twelve loaded sub seems adequate, but some of my disciples are now in the process of prototyping with a single 15, not so much because they think that they need it but more from just wanting to see what it will do.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: solid state guitar amp ....... wanna make a kzillion$ ?
Next Topic: Bass cabinet design
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 02:18:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout