Home » Audio » Speaker » Why won't a single driver speaker do metal?
Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21178 is a reply to message #21086] Sun, 07 August 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bob pace is currently offline  bob pace
Esquire
I saw your thread and read it, noting as usual some folks give opinions based on theory instead of experience. To my way of thinking, if you have not listened to a particular speaker, amp, or anything else, you cannot accurately describe how that particular product performs. I just happened to be in Florence last week on business and to make a long story short Ed Shilling was gracious enough to invite me over for a listen to his single driver horn speakers.

First of all, those horn speakers will play metal at insane volumes - 108 db peaks measured at 14 feet from the speakers - undistorted. Metal at that volume is not my cup of tea, but they will do it. Ed had 3 amplifiers available to listen to - a First Watt 10 WPC solid state, a Pass 150G 150 WPC solid state, and an Audio Note 7 WPC 300B tube amp. Each amp sounded different, the 150G drove the speakers to the 108db peaks, the 300B amp got them to a respectable 102 db as well. Both solid state amps sounded a bit strident at higher volumes - not overly so, and the 300B seemed to tame that characteristic completely. Overall the 300B was the best - in my opinion - once it warmed for 30 minutes everything just came together. The sound was open, dynamic, and 3 diminsional. The bass is adequate and very tunable by room position with adequate treble extension as well. The bass is not there below say 40 hertz, so if you want the low bass that is more felt than heard, you will need to augment it with a subwoofer. Most folks don't know the difference between real bass below 40 hertz and a bass peak around 60 to 100 hertz and won't miss it. I would compare these to a pair of JM Labs Micro Utopias - high dollar monitor speakers that sell for $6500 a pair and have similar bass response but are not quite as dynamic. I have listened to the Micro Utopias enough to make this statement. As far as looks go, the JM Labs are the hands down winner, although the new veneer finish is very attractive.

If I was not already addicted to the lower octive bass and completely satisfied with my current speakers, I would purchase these immedietely and find out if they would work in my listening room. At under $800 a pair, they are quite a bargain in the world of high end audio.

This is of course opinion on my part and I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinions. The key difference is I actually listened to the speakers before voicing that opinion.

Bob

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message