Home » Audio » Speaker » Midbass slam
Re: Midbass slam [message #83055 is a reply to message #83054] Tue, 19 July 2016 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
If your subs integrate well with your tiny mains, I think you may be fine.

In my past experience, I had a hard time doing that-

Around 3 years ago, I built/owned a typical hifi set of speakers with dual scan speak 6" woofers per cabinet-
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/3-way-speaker-kits/b741-scan-speak-kit-pair-by-peter-noerbaek/
They are about 88db sensitivity.

After an intensive, difficult buid (I attribute most of this to the tapered baffle) I gave them months of listening time.
I ended up feeling very dissapointed in the lack of mid-bass punch, no matter how loud.
They just sounded kind of flat, and unexciting.
I decided (it was suggested) to built a sub to try an help.

The end result was the same good mid range and great high end from the mains, with added extreme low end from the sub, yet no more mid bass slam.
What didn't help with the punch, is I had to low pass the sub at 50hz, because it simply wouldnt integrate well with the mains anywhere above that,
regardless of position.

I then did extensive room treatments (bass traps, large broad band absorption).
Bass response improved, but still no mid bass punch to speak of, sort of a hole right in the mid bass.

Thats when I decided to try a pair of high sensitivity speakers (4pi's).
The first two things I noticed, was more midbass punch and more dynamics.

After some time of liking these mains much more than my previous pair, I decided to try a S.E.T. tube amp with them, having heard that this type of amplification was a great combination with high sensitivity mains.

End result is, this current system smokes my last one, the punch, dynamics and most surprising to me.......the mid-range. This is all "without" subs.

This current system, using high sensitivity mains, does not have the mid bass slam of an outdoor system as you describe, but it sure has more punch than my previous set of speakers had!

I am about to add a pair of 3pi's, which Im sure will bring it closer, as that is what they are designed for.

In regards to your mains, it is hard to believe your two way, 6" speakers are really 108db 1w/1m or even close to that.

Are they horn loaded?

I installed quality cherry wood veneer on my 4pi's, with matching front grill covers, and most people do not even notice them when they enter our living room.
They simply look like the rest of the front furniture.

I am building the 3pi subs the same way.
Youd be surprised what you can get away with in your living space,
when the speakers no longer look like big (or small) black boxes.

Regards!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Wireless speakers vs wired
Next Topic: Is stereo a misunderstood logic?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 16:36:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio