Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mid horn driver options
Re: Mid horn driver options [message #85415 is a reply to message #82411] Wed, 14 June 2017 10:42 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
"the response is nice and flat at all radiating angles, providing uniform response throughout the room."

I figured as much.
To me, that may be the most important feature of any "in home" (in room) speaker.

I am not surprised with all those combinations of priorities in the horn/speaker design, that it would take "years" (or should I say decades) to design/refine such a loudspeaker.

The reason I ask is, as I love to "diy", I had some TB 1772 full rangers i was trying to possibly horn load, and buid a "FAST" (full range and subwoofer technology) system with.

I wanted to horn load to try to increse sensitivity, and get more gain from them, as I thought they would not play very loud, despite their being rated at 95db/1w/1m, But after reading your explanation, I more realized you cant just plop a fullrange woofer on a horn. LOL!

So i tried it with just direct radiator, which also dramatically decreases the depth of the enclosure compared to a horn-
index.php?t=getfile&id=1987&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=1986&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=1985&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=1984&private=0

As you can see by the pics, these are not "real corners", otherwise I would have built some 7pi's>
(I wonder how the 7pi's would work in this configuration?).

These are bi-amped.

I had best luck with the Tang bands high passed at 150hz (using a set amp), and the subs low passed at 170hz.(crown amp).
This is where they sound thier best to me, without taking room measurments.
The toe in (approx. 30d.?), although not 45d., does help widen the listening response in the room.
These mains sit about 13' apart. They are set up on the long wall, so the seating area is about 12' back.

As you might guess, the overall volume isn't there like with my 4pi's.
I think their 95db rating may be a bit of embellishment.
I also figure, how can one expect this driver to compare to a nice compression driver?
They are somewhat dynamic sounding, but certainly not like my two ways.
An example Im talking about- high hats sounding like real high hats.!

The other boxes in the pics, with no woofers installed, are meant to go on top of the mains, creating a "single bass array" with the woofers being 2' from the ceiling and floor, with 4' vertical between the pair, quarter spacing for an 8' ceiling height.

Also, I never did post pics of my 4pi's with flanking subs-

index.php?t=getfile&id=1989&private=0
  • Attachment: IMG_3631.JPG
    (Size: 25.18KB, Downloaded 2523 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_3629.JPG
    (Size: 30.29KB, Downloaded 2583 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_3632.JPG
    (Size: 34.67KB, Downloaded 2573 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_3633.JPG
    (Size: 34.68KB, Downloaded 2613 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_3660.JPG
    (Size: 30.05KB, Downloaded 2620 times)