Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 6Ah4 Amp
Re: 6Ah4 Amp [message #11331 is a reply to message #11330] Mon, 03 July 2006 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Well, you might say the 300b is my tube of choice, because, I have a pair.

When we talk of common DHT for SET amps we, (I) mean 45, 2A3, & 330b.

I love the 45. My 45 DRD is probably the most "refined" amp I have but with my 96db speakers, they are more than sometimes, not enough. Even at very moderate volumes.

OK, flashback time. A few years back, when I thought to try the SET thing, I, as I suggested above tried it by inflicting it on my long suffering ST-70. I wired one EL34 across both sides of the output trans and let her rip. I liked it enough to pursue the idea. I had less efficient speakers back then and was used to 20-50W of P-P tubes and 250W of SS. So the 300b seemed like the only choice.

The 300b has the most output power, they say 8W into a 3.5k load. I use a 5.6k load for about 4~5W and it’s still plenty.
But the 300b is a hard tube to drive. So (in my opinion) it’s sound ,is more dependent on the input stage. I have tried .
FI, OK but soft.
SSRP, just couldn’t get it to work for me.
WE-91(6sj7) not bad at all, may well be many people’s cup of tea. If I had the money I’d try 310’s.
DRD,I was still on the 45 honeymoon, so not a fair trial, must get back to that.
And now the choke loaded D3a. This is working for me so far. What I am looking for may not be the "best". What I Want is a sense of life or emotion. Not something pure but clinical like a gain clone. (though I will not part with mine)

Some reviewer once said something like "the 300b sounds great but you always know you’re getting a show"

I was playing some James Cotton a wile ago and I was at the show.

On to the 2A3.

2.5 Watts.

If this is enough power for your speakers. It’s pretty much a ‘no brainer’ They are not too expensive and easier to drive. There are so many kinds out there both, new and old you can tune the sound a little

If you have high efficiency speakers, that’s what I’d do. If you have a 3-5K transformer you can try something else later…John

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message