Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 6Ah4 Amp
Re: 6Ah4 Amp [message #11329 is a reply to message #11328] Sun, 02 July 2006 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Hi M, If a big triode amp is the goal. Consider whether or not a 3-6.5K mid sized transformer would be usable. I know an 845/211 wants about 10K and about 20-30 Watts as well. I have not looked too far into the world of big triode amps, the high voltage scares me too. I have not done enough research to say what tube might work with what transformer.
On the other hand, Ray P of the DC Bottleheads, built a 829 amp that uses a Radio shack 70V line transformer Parafeed. This trans is about the size of an ST-70 chock and it sounds great. go figure.
Go to the Bottlehead forum, search Under Ray P and Meet pics. It’s worth a look.

So for the 6ah4 the little Hammond’s might be the way to go. Another possibility, if you have a set of P-P transformers handy from say a EL84 or 6V6 amp, these run about 6-8K. Yea I know a P-P trans is not designed to run single ended and you will saturate the core, at least somewhat. But at very low power it works.

As for the Aikido, I have not done anything new with it. It works POS power supply and all and I have lately been spending my time on my 300B amp, when it is cool enough to run it (92 here in Valley Forge today). there is more over at G.B…John

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message