Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 6Ah4 Amp
6Ah4 Amp [message #11326] Wed, 28 June 2006 16:58 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; I don't know who cares about this old tube but I am now in the process of gathering parts for a SE amp built from this tube.
Before i ramble on with this I'll state that I was following Damir's project on the group build section where he has built a 300B SE amp. His project looks to be probably about as good a design as is possible to make. Someday I would love to explore that opportunity but right now the over 1K$ in parts alone is just not happening.
So in perusing the web I came across a very simple and nicely done amp using the 6AH4 as a power tube and the 5755 as a driver with a 6X4 rec tube. The voltages are manageable and the parts count is low and a couple people have expressed delight in the sound of this amp.
The 5755's were 4$ each. The 6Ah4's were 8.50$ each and the 6X4 was 9$.
It uses a 7kp output trans and a 500v ct power trans along with a 10H filter choke. I have the choke from Hammond and the power trans is a 372x. I just need some advice on what output trans to use; prefferably something that can be re-used for a better amp someday if needed.
I bought a Hammond chassis and am using the Ratshack 100K pot. The rest of the parts are pretty cheap; I think I can do this for under 400$.
Just thought I'd post on this since there hasn't been much activity on the SE forum lately.
I am building this to run with my little Ion BS 1's SD speaks with a tweeter that comes in at about 8k.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message