Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Looking for a change
Looking for a change [message #78520] Mon, 02 December 2013 11:30 Go to previous message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
Hello Wayne

I have a smallish room 12.5x20x8ft. I have experimented with a few speakers over the years including Newform 645 ribbons and lately a pair of GR research OB7s that I built from a kit. None of these speakers have meant my expectations in this room. I think back to the 70's when I was listening to a cousins systems that had Altec A7's or a pair of large 3 way 12" speakers of some sort.

These speakers seemed to have more body and realism in the lower mid range than I can get from modern speakers. I'm wondering if this is partially due to the narrow width of most modern speakers. A wider speaker like the Pi4 would have a much lower baffle step frequency. I am considering a set of Pi4 and am wondering what sort of bass extension I can expect in a room this size? I have 2 15" subs that I can use to fill in the bottom.

Currently, I have a summed mono setup for a crossover. The sub boxes are sealed and I am using an EQ circuit that funcionally is like the Linkwitz transform but uses circuitry that I came up with myself. The result is great deep bass but it always seems like the lower mids can't keep up. With the OB7's being a dipole in the mids, I need to move them away from the back wall 5 ft for the best imaging. This may also be a factor and I understand that the Pi4 is designed to be used close to the back wall.

I am ready to try something different and looking at the very well documented and researched Pi designs has made me think this may be a good place to start. I would also like to experiment with lower powered amps, tube and SS, and having a set of high efficiency speakers would be great.

Are corner horns a possibility in a room this small? It is a closed rectangular room but does have closet doors on the end wall where the speakers would be placed.

Could you send me a copy of the 4pi plans? I'd like to take a look at the cabinet details.

Thank You

Brian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Brace for 4Pi?