Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » comparing amplifiers
Re: Carver's Pro Tripath Amp [message #10842 is a reply to message #10820] Fri, 10 December 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor
Colin, no I haven't read any of his articles. What's the Tand Bang project? Is that the speaker called "NEEDLES"? That speaker looks interesting. They use 16 three inch Tang Bang drivers and 1 ARg3 ribbon tweeter per side. Here's a link to it...

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=NEEDLES

Still like I said in an earlier post. "IF" I spend $3000 I want to get $3000 worth of equipment. I just cannot sanction the belief that because an amp sounds like a $3000 amp means it should cost $3000. If the amp only has a the same amount and quality of components as another company's $800 amp does, it should cost $800. I get sick when I see a good product come along, solid state or tubed, get a great review and then BAM!!!! it goes up in cost by 33% to 50%. The engineers that make solid state amps could go out buy a $10K SET amp and taylor their solid state amp to sound just like it. Bob Carver did that exact thing years ago. The fact that they don't proves either they truly believe their solid state gear sounds better. To which I say "Clean out your ears!" or they just don't care. I long for the day that I can get $10K SET tube amps sound in a $2000 solid state amp. I'll save on the intial expense of purchasing the amp, I'll save on energy bills as opposed to running paralleled 845 tubes in Class A, I'll save on the expense of NOS tubes, etc. So why don't they do it? Huh? OK guys speak up, because I really want to know the answer to that question.

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)
====================================================================
Music never makes you sick, but noise always annoys.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message