Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » ASL Tulip amp mods
Re: ASL Tulip amp mods [message #10664 is a reply to message #10663] Sun, 08 August 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely; the source impedance will have an effect on the load. I have only a rudimentary understanding of this subject. The amp needs a particular load impedance so that the source is better controlled by the electrical damping provided by the load. Like a speaker. Flatter response/ cleaner output, and better resonance control will all be affected by impedance matching of source and load.

Some use a look-up factor of 200 or more as a guide. Hopefully some of the brains will see this post and chime in, Eric and Wayne.

Input impedance of the Tulip is 100k so you would probably want 500ohm output impedance on your pre-amp. My AES is 560ohm output impedance. If you were close by I would run it by, but if not try and borrow one. It's a nice sounding unit and it would probably work for you.

That Tulip I believe can run 45's as is; no?

You know as an aside; there will always be something better. Like the Moth; since it sells for 4times the price of the Tulip, it better be. Hope this helps; J.R.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: rectifier controversy
Next Topic: Hexfreds
Goto Forum: