Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Crackhead got me thinking...
This could be good. [message #10499 is a reply to message #10489] Sat, 27 December 2003 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron

"I'm very turned off by the egos and attitudes at forums like Audio Asylum". Absolutely! I'm pretty new to SETs and DIY and love the interaction and knowledge I can gain through forum discussion with all you experienced guys who are willing to share. Problem is, running into arrogant egomaniacs who talk down to the guys on the learning curve have scared me away from a few forums now - sure hope this one doesn't degrade to that level.

My first SET was a Golden Tube Audio 300B and I recently completed my first DIY SET which started as an Angela/WE91 300B. Its current configuration uses a 6SN7 driver for the 300Bs, Electra-Print OT's, Hammond PT and ASC oil caps in the power supply. The bases are S. American mahogany with a Watco Danish oil finish and a stainless steel/cork/mild-steel sandwich top plate. I use these amps on 100db efficient Altecs and have been wrestling with hum lately and finally killed it by reducing gain a little, adding a balanced center tap ground to the 6SN7 heaters and using DC heat on the 300Bs (Schottky bridge, CRC filtering). Tubes and coupling caps seem to always be changing but I'm currently using Mullard GZ37 rectifiers, WE 300B, CBS/Hytron 5692 drivers and RTX coupling caps - next up to try are Russian PIO, Jenson PIO and Jupiter caps.

My next projects in the CAD & parts acquisition stages are a stereo WE417A/45 SET amp and a tube crossover - I want to try bi-amping my Altec 604s. Looking forward to sharing and learning from you guys!

Billfort

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message