Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Looking At NOS EL 34's...!
EL34 SE [message #9834 is a reply to message #9832] Mon, 25 September 2006 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I haven't really studied for any yet. I've glanced at the one on Angela's site.

My interest is that I purchased the Nelson Audio EL34 that Wayne had on loan as a demo from a couple of years ago. I heard it on his 7 Pi's at his house when I first met him and just really liked the sound. Unfortunately I wasn't able to pay the dealer that day and needed to run it by the significant other first. So after a week or so I paid the dealer and Wayne shipped it to me. UPS promptly dropped it hard enough to bust some connections loose and break a few other things on the inside which I wasn't aware of at the time because the outside looked in good shape. Put the tubes in it, fired it up, and boom----the whole thing went up in flames. I decided then and there that I'd never have another tube amp shipped to me. I'd either buy a new one at the dealers or build my own. So I got into building simple headphone amps to get a feel for soldering and such and now it's time to try my hand at a full fledged tube amp. The first I've decided will either be a Darling or a 6EM7 SE amp due to the fact they are fairly inexpensive, simple, and sound pretty damn good, basically use the same PS, and I have the tubes. Then we shall move onto the EL34 which is always in the back of my mind.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message