Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build (skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build)
Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71655 is a reply to message #71649] Sun, 04 March 2012 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 03 March 2012 21:21

You can take the gasket off if you want, but if you do, be sure to scrape it off completely and clean the surface, like you would do on an engine rebuild. Start with a completely smooth and clean surface for the new gasket. Otherwise, you may not have a good seal.

I guess I don't see the benefit in doing this. If you are concerned with the height from the baffle, wouldn't it be better to route a recess for the woofer to sit in?

About the mounting holes, and the portion of the surround that partially covers them, simply foke through that. It's just an artifact of assembly. You can cut it with a razor, if you want. But you can just poke the mounting screw into the hole too. There's no harm if that bit of material bends or tears.

Wayne,
Actually, the woofer arrived with no gasket at all on the bottom part of the flange. The top has a neoprene (maybe) gasket which is possibly be glued on. I don't want to mess with it. A thick paper or fiber gasket was taped to the top of that, for use on the bottom. So I have a clean surface on the bottom flange.

As far as the recess goes, I would love to do that but it will require a thicker baffle and more cost. The protection and aesthetic the recess offers is something to consider, though.

Thanks for the tips on the mounting holes. I managed to accidentally remove the surround on a PE woofer once with mounting screws, but that's a different animal I'm sure.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Alternate idea for 7Pi midhorn enclosure?
Next Topic: Information about the 3 Pi Subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 21:37:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout