Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Pinging MQracing
Re: Glass samples [message #9460 is a reply to message #9459] Fri, 23 December 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Steve Eddy is currently offline  Steve Eddy
Chancellor

Cool. This is for the top plate? I like the smoked glass the best I think, but they are all pretty neat.

Well, a top plate of sorts. The original inspiration was to use it for a funky little open-frame design I did a while back that Mike fell in love with, but he's been thinking of utilizing it for other purposes. Only problem is that most of the glass is rather too thick for what was originally intended.

Here are a few photos.

It was really just something I cobbled together out of scrap wood and spare parts to use as a simple volume control on the test bench. I didn't have any 6-32 nuts on hand so I just used some T-nuts.

Anyway, Mike saw it and really liked it and thought the basic design could be scaled up a bit and make a suitable chassis for a relatively inexpensive commercial product. He didn't like that the open frame was so well, open so I came up with the idea of routing an 1/8" groove on the inside of the front and rear panels that would run between the dowels so some 1/8" plates of some sort of material could be inserted. To keep with the open frame concept, Mike thought about using glass and went to a local glass shop and got some samples.

Anyway, yeah, I like the smoke glass too. Ideally though I'd like to find that same type in more of a bronze tone.

Oh, and while I'm here, here are the photos of the phenolic laminates I told you about. The one on top is the cotton phenolic (Garolite LE) which uses layers of loosely woven cotton fabric impregnated with phenolic resin. The one on the bottom is the paper phenolic (Garolite XX) which uses layers of kraft paper impregnated with phenolic resin.

I'm sure you've seen examples of the latter as it was commonly used as copper clad printed circuit board material before the glass epoxy boards became the norm. It's still used for making terminal boards, screw terminals, etc.

Personally I like the cotton phenolic the best.

se

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: New Millett Hybrid Done!
Next Topic: Douglas, Damir, I did some more work on the 300bPP amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:47:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout