Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Dressing up DIY projects
Re: I agree... [message #9323 is a reply to message #9321] Tue, 08 November 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
there are a whole bunch of things that would get done iff I were on a money making enterprise. Or even if I were looking to spead the technology as quickly as is possible.

A few notes:
generating PCB's takes funding. I don't expect to put it up, or demand that somebody else does in order to partake of the design. It leaves a bit of chicken-egg sort of issue: the amp can't be built easily w/o it, as it looks daunting. And one can't say how good it sounds w/o building it.

The plan might look like this:
gather up the Iron and PCB's to build Merlin in stereo pair/mono-block quantity. Offer it for sale in a 0-profit price point.

This would still run afoul of the marketing prohibitions of the ART forums. It would also require investment to gather the Iron, and that runs afoul of my low funding availablity for such a project.

Solutions?
design a PCB pattern for those who would self-etch at home? or provide the pattern to their etching company. Not so bad an idea actually. Spec the parts, and leave a bit of drilling to the builders. heatsinks, and the 20-30k plate loads would dictate the hole spacing.

I do hate to specify all the details. Takes the freedom to experiment and learn right out of the project. It laso makes the whole project a whole lot more 'do-able' for the less experienced population, yes?

The PCB also leaves things like surface-mount parts a whole lot easier to deal with. Gate stoppers are far better done with SMT bits. Heard much good stuff about some of the thick-film, small SMT bits too.

I won't doo it all, but the projects folder would certainly benefit from a PCB artwork file for the cascode front end circuitry required to build Merlin as drawn...
cheers,
Douglas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: just in case you think 'going too far' is possible...
Next Topic: Ned Carlson's new job!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:41:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout