Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Amps for Home
Re: Amps for Home [message #65784 is a reply to message #65782] Thu, 20 January 2011 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lancelot wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 19:25
Most amps I see are on big halls with a lot of people. I don't have a big house at the moment but I'm thinking about amps for homes. I mean there are times when I have parties and the speaker volume won't be enough. Besides the quality of the sound is not good anymore when the volume is maxed.

Here are some numbers that might interest you.

This sort of thing doesn't exist on a stereo speaker set with an integrated amp as far as I know. Get speakers that can handle 200watts and get a 100wpc Amp and this sort of thing is a thing of the past. Do not use any bass boost though on the amp if it has it. Get a pre-amp if a specific source needs one because it doesn't sound right. Sort out those problems before it even touches the amp's circuitry.

50 watts is loud as hell and every time you double the wattage you get a measly 3db of gain, so that said, it seems twice as loud every 10db you add.

You have to decide what volume you plan on using the most and build accordingly. Severely under-powering a system will ruin the sound too.

50-100watts has always been perfect in my experience. I would rather max out a 12.5 watt amp than draw 12.5 watts from a 100wpc system, which is why my amp has no pre-amp section.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: AMP cracking and popping