Home » Audio » Measurement » On axis measurements in nearfield listening (I don't experience this as an issue... maybe you do??)
Re: On axis measurements in nearfield listening [message #60879 is a reply to message #60877] Tue, 15 September 2009 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

Asking questions about line arrays on PE invariably sends the various university trained electrical and audio engineers into some kind of joyful excursion of audio engineer language, which almost always excludes those of us who are not engineers. I think they do it on purpose so they don't have to answer questions in a way that a normal person can understand. Usually they get kind of angry when I ask for an explanation in laymen terms, like who do I think I am asking a question that I can't understand their answers for. Wink

I'm sure what you said makes good sense to an audio or electrical engineer. Unfortunately, you lost me near the beginning.

Could you respond to my question about my listening to my line array in the nearfield with the speakers slightly angled so that they are essentially facing the listening couch, and whether in that circumstance, off axis performance is actually hearable. As someone suggested who has always been a voice of reason on PE stated, I should have smearing of sound stage and loss of highs, but I most clearly DO NOT. Later in their discussion they started a technical argument as to what smearing actually means, and then lost me completely.

Are you suggesting that I have a uniform reverberant field? I was under the impression that that was a characteristic of listening in the nearfield. Also that the brain ignores any reflection that comes in under 38 milisecs, and listening in the nearfield pretty much eliminates any sound reflections that would be interpreted as anything other than the primary information.

As to the polars, doesn't a line array listened to in the nearfield produce a fundamentally different pattern that has less to do with polars?

Thanks so Much.

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What are the differences of the sound when using different isolation transformers?
Next Topic: O Scope
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 21:55:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout