Home » Audio » Measurement » On axis measurements in nearfield listening (I don't experience this as an issue... maybe you do??)
Re: On axis measurements in nearfield listening [message #60877 is a reply to message #60876] Tue, 15 September 2009 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have found that most folks on the PE forum rarely (or never) do measurements. They trust their models instead. I'm not against models by any means, using them extensively. In fact, I think most people have better results with models than they would with measurements because making good measurements is not trivial and requires good equipment. But still, a good measurement trumps a good model any day. And off-axis stuff is harder to accurately model because there are complexities that aren't included in the simplifying assumptions.

To me, off-axis performance is as important as on-axis response. The total power is radiated in all directions, not just on-axis. In a room, much of this energy is reflected back, so it really is what sets the tonality of the sound field. A uniform reverberent field is just as important as a uniform on-axis response curve. Most experts agree with that, and I think a few minutes with a speaker that generates good polars will convince most any audiophile.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What are the differences of the sound when using different isolation transformers?
Next Topic: O Scope
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:42:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout