Home » Audio » Measurement » On axis measurements in nearfield listening (I don't experience this as an issue... maybe you do??)
On axis measurements in nearfield listening [message #60876] Tue, 15 September 2009 18:22 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
On the PE Tech forum, I asked a question as to whether when one is listening in the nearfield, and when the speakers are facing a central listening couch, whether there is any issue with speakers being off axis at all? Its a big measurement question that is always brought up.

Many people seemed confused that I would bring up a question about something that I didn't actually experience, I guess because asking questions just to find something out is not done. I'm not sure. Other people told me all about how I could fix the problem, even though I had already indicated that I could hear no issues with off axis response. Other people assured me that my line array was clearly wrongly placed against the wall, and other things.

I was told by someone I respect immensely that my system clearly had bad smearing of the sound stage(meaning I couldn't tell what instrument was placed where), and that combfilter distortion was rampant cutting out my highs. He's never heard the system, and I know both of these things are so wrong that I'm on the other side of the universe with them.

Nobody confirmed my listening tests that in the nearfield with the speakers angled directly toward the listening, that there is essentially no hearing observable effect of off axis response issues.

I'm really not sure what any of this means. But I have suspected for years, and Jim Griffin has taken many professional engineers to task many times to try to explain that the whole listening experience in a full line array is fundamentally different from point source speakers, and that line arrays aren't just big point source speakers.

Marlboro

p.s.: when I get 43 more posts, I graduate from Grandmaster to Illuminati 1st degree. Wayne is Illuminati 33rd degree, but he has 12000+ posts, and I'm sure I'll never get that many posts for the rest of my life. Does this qualify me to be in the Movie?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What are the differences of the sound when using different isolation transformers?
Next Topic: O Scope
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:57:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout