Home » Audio » General » Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio
Re: Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio [message #61035 is a reply to message #61033] Sat, 26 September 2009 02:52 Go to previous message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
I'd agree with basically all of that! I listen to the radio (FM) in my lab (sometimes) and often while working @ my workbench, on a reasonably good, though not "high end" system. I've noticed that after a little bit, I often tend to turn it down to a fairly low level, unless a song I really like comes along. Now, granted that is partially to keep from being blasted by commercials(!), but I also think it's an almost subconscious reaction to the fatiguing sound. I almost never do that, listening to a good CD. (The vast majority of my CD's are old CD's.) In a sense, the volume wars often "backfire", I think. When I have the volume turned down at my end, I don't take much notice of what's being played, for the most part, and most anything new pretty much gets ignored, because it's just more low level hash. It doesn't have a "sound" that involves me, and doesn't even have that "oh, that's a cool old song" / memory / familiarity / impulse to get me to "lend an ear".

This is not to say ALL compression is bad. Carefully used, it can actually add (subjectively) to the "punch" of certain sounds. (I've done this myself, fooling around with a good compressor, and I'm far from being an expert in using one.) But, what's going on now, with most modern recordings, is, it seems to me, often driving people away from real enjoyment and appreciation of, and involvement with, music.

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ordering from Parts Express - ART discount?
Next Topic: Stripping 24 ga. wire w/teflon insulation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:24:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout