Home » Audio » General » Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio
Re: Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio [message #60691 is a reply to message #60690] Thu, 27 August 2009 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Being a musician and someone who appreciates good quality sound (I know, I'm unusual), I guess I'll throw a few comments in the hat from a guitarists point of view. These are only my opinions as an electric guitarist and not everyone thinks as I do.

Most musicians I know like a good sound, but their perception of good sound in a live setting is different from an audiophile as Wayne said. They want that good sound an audiophile likes in the final mix most of the time, but rarely get it. I look for "tone", not necessarily balanced sound across the board. We fiddle with all the tone controls depending on the songs we like to play. A big, chunky low end for metal--with slightly scooped mids--and a ripping high end with lots of presence. A smooth low end, with more mid, and a rolled off treble for a lot of blues (ala Clapton or Eric Johnson). We change the sound with a multitude of effects after all that a lot of times because we can and it adds to the total viceral effect of the song. Imagine AC/DC played through a straight clean channel with every control set down the middle--I've done it and it bites! Each instrument in the band is done in some fashion like this. Even acoustic players do this to some degree, although they rely on the guitar itself to produce the "tone" they're looking for. In the end an engineer balances all these to make a nice homogenous sound, well some do anyway--then they compress the hell out of it.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ordering from Parts Express - ART discount?
Next Topic: Stripping 24 ga. wire w/teflon insulation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 02:48:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout