Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Opinions please-New EL34, 6CA7, KT88 and 6550
Re: Opinions please-New EL34, 6CA7, KT88 and 6550 [message #63117 is a reply to message #59338] Wed, 09 June 2010 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Most interesting, The more I work with tubes the more I find that they are not predictable in the usual sense. In the amps I have designed (Oddwatt series, info mostly on another forum) I have found that unlike you the JJ tubes work well particularly the Blue Glass EL34 and KT88s. I have tried several brands and sizes as the amps can be switched from low power (EL34, KT77, 6L6GC etc) and higher power (KT88, 6550, KT90 and just this week EL156). There seem to be essentially two types of output based on the type and brand, either really great bass and very crisp mids and highs or smooth and well rounded, what I usually call a polite sound. The JJs fall into the latter area, many others are in the first group. It may well be the design of the amps that makes this so. Class A push-pull U/L with a CCS forcing the amp to stay in class A mode. Just a thought. It may also relate to my main speakers which are Martin Logan Vistas (ESLs). They have characteristics that will influence the sound of the amps as well. One tube that did not sound good at all was the New Sovtek 6L6WXT+. I would describe the sound as raw, like scratching on a chalk board.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Audio Note power transformer
Next Topic: $97 Tube iPod Docking System
Goto Forum: