Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 511B Update (#2)
Re: Deadening the 511B [message #41633 is a reply to message #41620] Mon, 16 June 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hello,
By silastic bonded, do you mean that instead of just a metal weld, there is some rubbery stuff between the vanes? if so, my current set of 511bs have this feature. My spare "experimenting" set I wil have to look at, I didn't realize there was a difference. If they are hard welded I think I will mount them up and see what problems they have compared to my "rubberized" (hopefully silastic) set. Thank you for the info. I assume that since there is rubbery stuff inthere, this version has already been cut as others suggest?

Thanks again,
Russellc

RE: silastic [message #41637 is a reply to message #41633] Mon, 16 June 2003 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi:
"By silastic bonded, do you mean that instead of just a metal weld, there is some rubbery stuff between the vanes?" EXACTLY!

Sorry if I was confusing - a habit formed may years ago, referring to room-temperature-vulcanizing, silicone based, compounds as "silastic" - I guess I never knew if that was an "official" term or not, but where I worked at the time, that was the common term.

If a black rubbery compound is present in the center of the webs then they are not welded in that area - the RTV is joining them and damping the "halves" of the horns. Altec incorporated the RTV in the late production of the 511B to damp the vibration everyone had recognized and complained about for years.

Re: 511B Upgrade Worthwhile? [message #41639 is a reply to message #41619] Mon, 16 June 2003 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
The Altec 511B horn is like a good vintage tube amplifier. If run stock, it sounds quite good and in some ways, better than most current gear. But, given a fundamentally good design, it can be upgraded relatively easily, to a very high level of performance. The 511B sounds very good if run stock, and many horn enthusiest like it that way. But with a little effort, it can be made to perform at a very high level.

The worth of these modifications is really up to you, and depends on how much you value the improvement. If you enjoy tweeking your system and appreciate the improvements to the sound, or you picked your components after considerable auditioning, then you will probably appreciate the improvements that modification of the 511B's will yield.

I suggest you listen to them stock for a while, then if you find room for improvement, start down the (slippery!) upgrade path. Beware that the upgrade path often spreads to the rest of your sound system. To get a start, run a search for '511B' at this site. This site is rich in 511B lore. You will basically find that the 511B's principal faults are related to its metal construction. It rings due to excitation by the sound it is reproducing. The ringing saps energy from the sound signal, and releases it as a resonant decay. The delayed release of energy fills in the silence between the notes causing a loss of resolution and microdynamics. The energy is released at new resonant frequencies that interact with the sound the horn is reproducing and imparts a grainy, opaque quality to the sound. The horn has a structurally complex shape. Different sections vibrate/resonate at different frequencies and with different magnitudes (Q's).

There are many upgrades that can be made and many ways to order them. Some just take a leap and place the horn in a box that is then filled with sand and sealed. I suspect this works very well. Others paint the entire outer surface of the horn with a sand/paint mixture, which I have been told works very well also. These I think of as relatively complete, one step solutions. Others, like myself have taken a stepped approach. The sequence goes something like this:

1) Destress the horn structure by cutting and damping the vanes. Most feel that this step yields a LARGE return in sound quality, and many stop here, quite satisfied.
2) Attach a wood frame to the mounting flange.
3) Damp the horn exterior surface with some kind of damping material. I used Dynamax Xtreme, constrained layer damping material.

I did #3 in steps, the latest of which was to add a second layer of Dynamat to the small part of the horn between the flange where the driver is mounted and where the horn begins its rapid horizontal expansion. I suggest that you start #3 by playing music through the horn and checking it (by touch) for vibration/resonant ringing. You will find different areas respond to different frequency ranges and vibrate at different frequency ranges. I ended up covering all the external surfaces (including the 'lips' - very worthwhile!))except the large mounting flanges. I screwed a wood frame to them (improved midrange resolution and dynamics). Apply the damping material a section at a time. Listen for the change/improvement with each step. Or...you may just want to cover the whole thing at once and enjoy.

To my ears, damping, after cutting the vanes, made considerable improvements in resolution, dynamics, sound staging and overall naturalness. Night and day difference...no. Obvious major improvement...yes. I also know that some of these improvements are not as audible through systems with average grade amplification, cabling and sources. Also, people value different aspects of the sound differently. Only you can decide if the improvements are worthwhile. If you are unsure, take a step and see. If you like what you hear, try another. None of these steps caused a degradation to the sound (to my ears).

The Dynamat sticks very well to the metal of the horn. I have not tried to take a large piece off, but small pieces come off fairly easily with patience. Some spots of damping material will be left. They can be removed with acetone. The Dynamat is easy to use although not as easy as the advertisements say.

I say go for it! Try a step and see if you like what you hear.

Regards,

AstroSonic

Re: 511B Upgrade Worthwhile? [message #41654 is a reply to message #41639] Wed, 18 June 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thank you for your informed response! Yes, I know what you mean about upgrade paths and tweeking! This is what lead me to tubes and altec in the first place, the simplicity of vintage listening. With time, the tweek bug has resurfaced again. I am definately going to try your methods to improvr these great horns. I noticed differences in my two sets of 511bs... My "nice" set is made such that it appears the vanes are split, but have some rubbery feeling stuff inthere. on my other set, they are more solid metal through and through. Do you think I need to cut the ones with the rubbery stuff in the gap, or only cut the all metal ones? I hope this makes sense, I just reread and I probably could have put it better, hope you followed this.

Russellc

Re: RE: silastic [message #41655 is a reply to message #41637] Wed, 18 June 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, this is good news, looks like possibly I only need to put on the deadening material as per astrosonics findings.

Russellc

Re: 511B Upgrade Worthwhile? [message #41658 is a reply to message #41654] Wed, 18 June 2003 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sounds like we are treading the same path! The good 511B's with the rubber and precut vanes are already destressed. You might find it interesting to compare the cut and uncut versions to hear the improvement destressing makes. After that, the entire exterior of the horn needs to be damped. I have been pleased with the results from using Dynamat Xtreme, but other competitive products would probably work. Its currently the one to beat and has a lot of lower cost immitators. I applied one layer over the entire exterior, and a second layer over the area between where the driver attaches and where the horn starts to rapidly widen. mounting the horns on a wood panel or frame also results in a clearly audible improvement. I think that you will be very pleased with what you hear. I look forward to reading your progress reports!

Good luck,

AstroSonic

Re: 511B Upgrade Worthwhile? [message #41666 is a reply to message #41658] Thu, 19 June 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, in that case I need to aquire this dynamat extreme stuff. Where did you find it, it seems I remember seeing it on parts express's page, but I have looked at so many I may be wrong. Do you have a favorite source for this stuff? (I am going to compare and contrast the two different styles of the 511 tonite!)

Thanks,
Russellc

Re: Dynamat source [message #41667 is a reply to message #41666] Thu, 19 June 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
You can order Dynamat Xtreme form the Dynamat website (dynamat.com), but I found it locally. Their largest market is car stereo. I found it at several car stereo installation shops as well as at Circuit City and Best Buy. It is also available from a number of websites. You may also want to check out the 'Be Quiet' products (be-quiet.com). Their 'Brown Bread' product is probably a good alternative at about 60% of the cost of the Dynamat product.

AstroSonic

Re: Dynamat source [message #41678 is a reply to message #41667] Fri, 20 June 2003 05:26 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, I will obtain some of this stuff and begin experimenting!
Thanks again,
Russellc
Previous Topic: Ohm rating for 2 Pi Tower?
Next Topic: Speaker Building Update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 08:57:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout