Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speaker choice - Can they sound like a Klipschorn?
Pi Speaker choice - Can they sound like a Klipschorn? [message #33673] Mon, 13 August 2001 22:36 Go to next message
Super_BQ is currently offline  Super_BQ
Baron
I'm new to pi speaker enclosures. At this website http://www.pispeakers.com/Prices.htm
I've been looking at all the different models.

My question is do ANY of them (or Pi speakers in particular) sound like the Klipsch Klipschorns? I'm not happy with how Klipsch won't be producing new Klipschorns until next year. So it would be great to find an alternative.

I see all those speakers on that website can take HUGE amount of power. The amp I want to use is at my website which is only 25w x 2.

Theater Series seven Pi's are a good comparison [message #33674 is a reply to message #33673] Mon, 13 August 2001 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The models most like the Klipschorns are the cornerhorns, and a valid comparison would be the Theater Series seven Pi's, which use components of similar quality.

If you want a real treat, build yourself a pair of Professional Series seven Pi's. They have JBL pro drivers with advanced motor structures and shorting rings that reduce distortion to very low levels, some 50x lower than drivers without shorting rings.

The Klipschorn is an excellent design, but it just can't match the performance of Professional Series seven Pi's with JBL pro drivers.

Re: What about the thermionic line? [message #33675 is a reply to message #33674] Tue, 14 August 2001 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy Bey is currently offline  Randy Bey
Chancellor
I see that the seven Pi (built by you) runs about $800, if memory serves.

Since I have 300B SET, this is what I would be interested in.

Not too sure I want to sell my Khorns to "audition" a seven Pi though...

Son of Zen has highish output impedance so low Zmax [message #33676 is a reply to message #33674] Tue, 14 August 2001 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioLapDance is currently offline  AudioLapDance
Baron
Hey Super BQ,

Homer: "Mmmmmm Super BBQ ..."

I recall that all of Nelson Pass's DIY amps (Zen, Son of Zen) have a highish output impedance (just like us tube heads); that is, a low damping factor. Thus you'll need a speaker with a low Zmax.

So check out Wayne's speakers--especially the Theater Seven Pi as the big guy suggests. I think the JBL2226 has a fairly low Zmax so you could use them too. Maybe you could email Nelson and ask what he suggests and then post the response here.

Enjoy,
Jeff

Re: What about the thermionic line? [message #33680 is a reply to message #33675] Tue, 14 August 2001 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Those Thermionic Series speakers look nothing like a fully hornloaded full range speaker. I mean part of the reason i'm partial to the Klipschorn is that particular sound from a bass horn. The Thermionics look like any off the shelf vented bass reflex enclosure so it would be tough to say they sound even close to a Klipschorn? Seeing how most people have never auditioned them, I suppose you really need to have both the pi-speakers and the Klipschorns side by side to really tell the difference?
Re: Son of Zen has highish output impedance so low Zmax [message #33681 is a reply to message #33676] Tue, 14 August 2001 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yes my SoZ amp has a very low damping factor. Maybe i'm using the wrong kind of amp as it seems like these Pi speaker are more suited for concert / outdoor use with BIG power amps.

The only audition my SoZ has ever had was with a pair of B&W 6P speakers. They're not really what I was looking for as the small woofers they used would distort out or wash out at higher SPL. Also they don't have that fruity tooty horn sound that I like.

Havn't e-mailed Nelson Pass as I think he's quite a busy guy - he probably has enough e-mails every day. But if I get desperate, I may bug him 1 more time.

I'm also getting parts to build his Balance Line Stage pre-amp

Re: Theater Series seven Pi's are a good comparison [message #33682 is a reply to message #33674] Tue, 14 August 2001 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you for your response.

>> The Klipschorn is an excellent design, but it just can't match the performance of Professional Series seven Pi's with JBL pro drivers.

Re: What about the thermionic line? [message #33684 is a reply to message #33680] Tue, 14 August 2001 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Are you confusing price with sound quality? You should consider a few facts.

Thermionic Six and Seven Pi(s) are horn loaded.

Both Pi cornerhorns and Klipschorns use Eminence woofers.

Wayne's method of horn loading gives him a much smoother frequency response than the Klipschorn (because the path to the driver more direct, less path length difference, etc). It is also much less expensive, uses less material and easier to construct. Have you ever seen Klipsnhorn plans?

My point is not that Pi speakers must be better than Klipsch. It is that your arguments are not sufficient to dismiss Pi Speakers. Your arguments boil down to Klipsch is more expensive so it must be better. There are numerous real world contradictions to this. If you doubt me, I'll be happy to provide some (I sold audio for 7 years, including Klipsch).

You're going to have to let your ears decide this one.

Dave

Re: Theater Series seven Pi's are a good comparison [message #33685 is a reply to message #33682] Tue, 14 August 2001 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Professional Series seven Pi is better in terms of amplitude response smoothness, low distortion and maximum output. Of course that means it does sound different.
Re: not sure, but I think the little pictures [message #33688 is a reply to message #33680] Tue, 14 August 2001 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Randy Bey is currently offline  Randy Bey
Chancellor
are not images of the particular speakers themselves.

If I am not mistaken, a seven is a corner horn loaded speaker.

Don't know if $900 is per pair or apiece, though.

Previous Topic: Where can I find list prices for JBL 2370A (horn) and 2426H (driver)
Next Topic: Horn equalization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 04:39:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout