Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Anyone using biscuits when building speakers?
Anyone using biscuits when building speakers? [message #29909] Wed, 15 August 2007 06:20 Go to next message
dbishopbliss is currently offline  dbishopbliss
Chancellor
As I have been looking around it seems that everyone uses butt-joints for their enclosures. The manager at my local woodworking shop has encouraged me to use biscuits and tongue & groove joints. I must say that glue up is very easy in comparison to my earlier attempts at butt-joints.

Am I missing something or is it that they are so much more work that people don't bother?

Re: Anyone using biscuits when building speakers? [message #29910 is a reply to message #29909] Wed, 15 August 2007 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Our cabinet shop uses tongue and groove joints.

Re: Anyone using biscuits when building speakers? [message #29911 is a reply to message #29909] Wed, 15 August 2007 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I didn't use biscuits on mine, cuz I don't have a biscuit cutter, but I did use dowels which helped a lot with lineup of the parts.

Re: Anyone using biscuits when building speakers? [message #29923 is a reply to message #29909] Sat, 27 October 2007 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-Hey!!!,
not me...just but jounts. I am preparing to do some 8' twin driver Voigt pipes, and I figure 1/4-rounds glued onto a chalk line will make things quite easy to do final assembly on. Of course it is possible that I will discover I need one more clamp than I can get my hands on...:)
cheers,
Douglas

. . . or is it that they are so much more work that people don't bother? [message #29954 is a reply to message #29909] Mon, 03 December 2007 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Hardly.  The beauty of biscuit joinery is the amount of time you save, even over a plain butt joint.  It makes the joint automatically self-registering, so you can just spread the glue and go.  You don't even have to glue in the bisquit pockets; just slather a little on the biscuit itself.

For me, it's a life saver for complicated box assemblies with a fast glue like T3 - I don't have to spend all those seconds getting everything registered.

I think the main stopper for regular guys is getting the biscuit machine.

Aloha,

Poinz

Re: Anyone using biscuits when building speakers? [message #29958 is a reply to message #29909] Thu, 27 December 2007 15:53 Go to previous message
Jeffery L is currently offline  Jeffery L
Chancellor
I am a of rabbet and dado joints. They will line everything up for you.
I would also say it depends a lot on the type of wood you are gluing. Every wood holds glue differently and in each circumstance the strength of a butt joint will differ.

I had an old box made from MDF using only glue, rabbet and dado joints. When it had served me well I decide to give it the old sledge-O-matic treatment and the joints never gave, the box did have a lot of 6" holes in it though.

Previous Topic: Newbee Tools
Next Topic: polyfill blues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 07:13:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout